Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I have a burning question.....  (Read 2121 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
I have a burning question.....
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:51 pm »
So I gots my new 100K burners, but I'm scratching my head. There's a 3/4" NPT hole in there. Something tells me we're going to need an orifice here. Any idea how to proceed? I know, call the folks that sold it to you, and that's on the list of things to do.....But meanwhile..... I know there's "been there, done it" here.

Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: I have a burning question.....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »
Did you get natural gas or propane? If it's NG then no orifice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »
Well, I ordered propane......

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:05:32 am »
OK, after looking around some more it appears I will need an air mixing chamber and and orifice.....It's all a learning process....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:16:45 am »
Appreciate the warning...... ;D

After some more research it appears that these are low pressure burners. Morebeer has them on their site and sells a .4 psi (11" water column) regulator with it. There is indeed no air mixing required, as the nozzles allegedly take care of that. The Morebeer people say there is an orifice required....other folks say there isn't.

BUT.......after scrutinizing the burner more closely it appears that every nozzle has a tiny hole in it, so it looks to me like there's 23 orifi integrated into the thing. Now, the only thing I'm not sure of is how to regulate flame height if you use the fixed .4 psi regulator.

The Morebeer dude was more sales than technical.......I hate that.

I have a variable regulator 0-20 from my turkey fryer burner so I think I'm going to play in the plumbing department at HD for a while to see if I can hook that up and see what happens before I spend any more money.

For those that come behind........ I've seen these burners as high as $139.......Morebeer charges $90..... I paid $22.95 at CPAPC.com That's a VERY big spread.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:05:00 am »
I've seen these burners as high as $139.......Morebeer charges $90..... I paid $22.95 at CPAPC.com That's a VERY big spread.

Yes, but there is evidently not much customer service at that price, otherwise you wouldn't be asking us...... ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:32:12 am »
And we help for the sheer pleasure of it. Altruism if you will... :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:59:00 am »
You guys are funny. We all know that if you want it spoon fed you're gonna pay, but if you put on your dirty clothes and look like a plumber you go to the supply houses where things are cheap....except you're supposed to know what you're doing. So I learn and fake the best I can...... ;D

Meanwhile, speaking of learning.......

I hooked the burner up to my propane bottle using a variable high pressure regulator like the posters above use and suggest getting. Yes I got a nice inferno going, hotter than hell in fact, but the flames were not seated nicely in the nozzles and at lower settings some nozzles were not firing, and there were quite a few yellow flames........not good.

More research reveals:

There are high pressure burners, like most of the turkey fryers out there, and there are low pressure burners, like the ones I have. But, these are HIGH VOLUME, and need to be regulated accordingly. Regulators have a pressure and a BTU rating. The .4psi regulator Morebeer sells with these burners is rated for 400.000 btu.....

You have to match the regulator with the device.

Putting the high pressure variable regulator with these burners is, IMHO AFAIK now wrong, because at the pressure where the flames seat properly in the nozzles and burn nice and blue, there is not enough volume to keep all the nozzles going and create the heat. (There is a reason there's 1/2 pipe going in to these things.)

Think of it this way, the turkey friers are 110V 10A, these burners are 12V 90A, except the high pressure regulators won't let 90A out......So, I will have to go get a low pressure regulator that's rated for the BTU's I need.

I will report back when this is done.

I think the lack of understanding on this is where some of the discontent stems from, especially if you plop down a C-note for a burner that doesn't perform like one would expect for that money.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:14:46 pm by oscarvan »