Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decoction vs Melanoidin Malt Question(s)  (Read 13464 times)

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: Decoction vs Melanoidin Malt Question(s)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 12:21:40 pm »
I decoct quite frequently, maybe as often as every other beer, because I find it a convenient way to do step mashes to control fermentability for some beer styles.  I don't expect and I don't really see any obvious flavor differences from the standard recipe, so I wouldn't add any melanoidin malt unless you think the recipe would benefit from melanoidin malt flavor. 

To the other point: not that decoction won't make your beer clearer, but both my decocted and non-decocted beers are crystal clear. I think water chemistry is the primary factor instrumental in achieving clear beer, not boiling the grain.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 06:07:40 pm »
I've tasted melanoidin on its own, in a steeped and boiled sample.  Not impressed.  Some aroma and flavor but not much.  Dextrinous, kind of yucch really.  I'll never use it again.  Dark Munich has way more flavor and aroma.

I also had NOT positive experience with Melanoidin malt.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »
I decocted many beers and I do think 2%-4% of Weyermann Melanoidin Malt is in the ballpark of a triple decoction. I have experiance with both but haven't done side by side three way blind tastings (too much effort for me.)  ::)

I wish Kristan England would write up the results of his experiments.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?p=716196#p716196
I think he summed it up well in one post but more info would be interesting to me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:57:07 pm by Malticulous »

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »
I've done decoction brewing for a variety of German styles - both lagers and ales.  I can't say there's a dramatic difference in the finished beers, but I like the technique for stepping mash temps.  I also like the history/tradition of the technique for German styles.  I've done full triple decoction several times, but most often do a double decoction.  Sometimes I just do a decoction to step to mash-out temperatures.  I know it might seem a bit silly, but somehow it just feels like the right thing to do when brewing those beers.  Sorry that doesn't help with the aromatic/melanoidin malt question, but it's my two cents. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:36 am »
I've never done a decoction, so I can't speak to whether melanoidin closely approximates any flavor addition resulting from a decoction.  However, when used in small amounts, I like what melanoidin adds to my beer.  It's got a unique malt flavor (almost an "exaggerated" Munich malt flavor with some extra magic thrown in).  I use 1-3% in a 5 gallon batch, depending on how much of that malt flavor I want.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »
i did my first triple decoction last sunday and the beer, doppelbock, is still fermenting so i can't comment on what the differences are,but i tried it once and for what the trouble is, i doubt that i will try it again.