Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Life of mixed Star San? Newbie  (Read 12399 times)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: Life of mixed Star San? Newbie
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 07:35:11 am »
I've been using iodophor for a little while now.  I've been thinking about getting some star san and after reading this thread think I will definitely pick some up next time I'm buying brewing supplies!

You'll have a multiple life time supply of iodine for starch tests now :) That's what happened to me.

Kai

You just need to do more starch tests.  Turn the kids loose on some potatoes.  ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 07:44:30 am »
I am a Starsan junkie.  ;D

I keep spray bottles handy all the time. When I prepare it... I will make several gallons at a time and store it in spring water jugs. It lasts a long time. If it gets cloudy it is probably on it's way out. You can check it's viability by measuring the pH. If the pH is 3 or less...it's OK to use.

One more thing...never fear the foam.   8)
Ron Price

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:55 am »
You'll have a multiple life time supply of iodine for starch tests now :) That's what happened to me.
Kai

Yea, Me too, and I have a small bottle......
Oh, crap.
Realizes he bought a 'spare' 32 ouncer and that's still in the basement. :facepalm:  <=== we need this emoticon mods!

The other thing was pointed out to me. My rubber stoppers in:
1. the starter Erlenmeyer flask
2. Airlock stoppers drilled into cornie keg lids I use for lagering

Always keep forcing (slipping) out. This is due to the slippery aspects of acids. A shot of Idophor stops the slipping and is sanitary....

So it really does have more than one use in a 5 star house like mine.
Just not 32 oz. of uses.  :-[
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:26:18 am »
The other product from 5 Star Chemicals, however, doesn't have my approval. I'm talking about 5.2.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 10:46:06 am »
The other product from 5 Star Chemicals, however, doesn't have my approval. I'm talking about 5.2.

Kai

I'm in agreement with you on that one, Kai.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brew.Drink.Repeat.

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:14 am »
Everything you read about Star San is true; I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to use it, and I see no advantages to using any other sanitizer product in its place. There are few things in life that works 100% as advertised, and Star San is definitely one of them.

When I mix up a batch on brewday, I always fill several spray bottles as well as my sanitizer tube (a long PVC tube, capped on both ends, that I use to sanitize my longer items like sample thieves, racking canes, stir rods, etc.). As long as I keep these vessels sealed I never worry about efficacy, IMO it takes a lot longer for the Star San pH to rise than the time between batches.

My .02... plus a dime or so.
 :)
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

South Jersey Fermentation Club (formerly Barley Legal Homebrewers)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 11:47:31 am »

Kai

I'm in agreement with you on that one, Kai.

I'm kind of ticked at myself.  I bought a new thing of it and then got into my water chemistry.  Never even opened it.  Not the cheapest stuff either.