Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help Me Tweak My Hefeweizen  (Read 5741 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Help Me Tweak My Hefeweizen
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 03:02:38 pm »
Kai I don't think thats what I'm getting.  I'm tasting clove alright, and I really wouldn't have noticed the tartness so much but when my beer was side by side with the Edel Weisse you could definitely taste the difference.  The tartness isn't over the top, and I don't mind it personally and could see why people might like it.  This isn't about me though.  Well, it gives me something else to think about instead of work!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »
I checked pH tonight.  My hefe measured 4.25, and the Ayinger Ur-Weise measured 4.30.  Interestingly, the Ur-Weisse (which she likes) had a bit of tartness and my brew was quite similar, maybe a hair less malty.

Had I not made the mistake of buying the Edel Weisse, I could have claimed victory!  But where's the fun in that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:08 am »
I took James Lorden's advice and split a batch to ferment with 300 and 380.  I blended together to bottle and the graivty sample had an excellent flavor.  I couldn't tell about the tartness, will wait on carbonation for that.

By the way, I was surprised to see Wine Enthusiast magazine had a beer article in the December issue, their 25 top beers of 2010.  Ayinger Ur-Weisse was #7.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO