Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soda Stream to carbonate beer???  (Read 12784 times)

Offline chrisinestes

• Cellarman
  • Estes Park, Colorado!
Soda Stream to carbonate beer???
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:26:58 pm »
Looks like I'm getting a Sodo Stream machine for Christmas. Google it.. they're cool!  I'll use it as intended, but It gave me an idea. I want to make some small batches of ice beer from what I have brewed and kegged. I'll probably pull off 1.5L into  a 2L bottle and freeze it. Once I extract the good stuff, I'm thinking I'd give the Soda Stream a shot at infizzerating it. I talked to a sales person about the machines, and she said you can only carbonate plain water with the machine, otherwise it just turns to foam. I'm wondering if I leave it hooked up fpr a few days, the C02 might desolve into the beer. Anybody here had any luck with this?

Anybody have any other good ideas about how to carbonate a 1-2 L. amount of beer?

Thanks!
Mmmmm..... Beer....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Soda Stream to carbonate beer???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:36:34 pm »
I do it in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:33 pm »
I think its awesome SodaStream is coming back.  I remember that 20 years ago back in the UK, making crappy cola and orangeade, and pouring in double the syrup when my mum wasn't looking.

Seriously though, I second the carb cap for a regular soda bottle.  It hooks up to a ball lock disconnect no problem.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/draft-bottling/the-carbonator.html

Offline chrisinestes

• Cellarman
  • Estes Park, Colorado!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
Ha! Why didn't I think of that! I must be getting old... I actually have a carb cap. I just completely forgot about it.  ::)

Thanks!

Chris
Mmmmm..... Beer....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »

Me too. I have two caps. It's a part of my quality control process.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »

Me too. I have two caps. It's a part of my quality control process.

Only 2?   :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:12:16 pm »
A few years ago, before I knew there were carbonator caps, I drilled out a few soda bottle caps and put bolt-on tire valve stems on them.

I have quick disconnects on my gas lines so I can change from ball lock disconnects to a tire inflator (or any other pneumatic, I guess) and use these caps a lot for soda, cider, and taking beer to parties.

Works great.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:42:09 pm »
Got a picture or url link for that.  I'm trying to visualize it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »
I'll see if I can remember to take one and post it.  Not likely tonight, going out for drinks.

Edit: Here's a picture of what the stem looks like. http://www.ezaccessory.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=V1562

Basically, I drilled a hole for the stem and then the nut drops down over the top and tightens it to the cap.  They're a tight fit inside the cap, but there's enough room as long as you center them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:57:27 pm by jrdunne »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:21 am »
Here's a link to some photos: http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/jrdunne/

Not pretty, but they work just fine.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:58:54 am by jrdunne »

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »
Thanks!  What does the "tire inflator" attachment look like?  How do you hook it up to your CO2 tank?  Please post pics or URL links.  Thanks again--I find this to be very educational and a clever adaptation of existing products.  I wonder if it is cheaper than the plastic carbonator tops?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 03:01:20 pm »
Here's a standard air tool pack: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Air-Compressors-Tools-Accessories-Air-Tools/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xmiZars0/R-100392283/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I used the quick disconnects on my gas lines so I can change from a ball lock disconnect to the air chuck included with the kit, similar to how you use air tools with an air compressor.

I've also thought of using (though have not yet) the air gun attachment to flood growlers or other containers with CO2 prior to filling them.  Since they wouldn't be capped, I don't think there would be a pressure issue and you ought to be able to displace the air in the container with CO2.

If I can remember (going out again tonight) I'll take a picture of my set up at home and post it.