Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running out of propane  (Read 8067 times)

beveragebob

Re: Running out of propane
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
"I just leave it on my doorstep in the morning and have a full tank when I get home at night."

Wow! and to think I doubted the Propane Fairy!  :D

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 01:11:45 pm »
I have 4 tanks, including the one on the grill.  I get them filled at the RV place.  Last time I got 3 filled for $33 bucks.  Much cheaper than the "exchange" type deals.
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 01:40:10 pm »
i have natural gas from the house to the grill with a connection set up for a natural gas burner (not yet purchased) however for you liquid propane users, i was at the home away from home depot last night and saw that they have 100 pound tanks available.  or you could just get the big ass tank like mom has on the farm..... ;D
Don AHA member

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:58:03 pm »
I have 4 tanks, including the one on the grill.  I get them filled at the RV place.  Last time I got 3 filled for $33 bucks.  Much cheaper than the "exchange" type deals.

I just went natural gas, but have been there with the "running out of propane" crew.  I'll echo that if you can find a propane business, it's a lot cheaper to get your tanks filled there than doing the blue rhino swap at the 7/11.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »
If I'm doing just a five gallon batch I can put it in my 30qt pot and boil it in the kitchen. It happened once. The beer was fine. I use a 40 lb tank and have a 20 lb back up.

I heat most my water on the stove. I brew just out the back door on the porch. Packing hot water is not a big deal to me.

I bet I could fit three big burners like my stove top uses under my 60 qt pot if I built up a brew stand. Seems easier to me than hot water heater elements. One of them has no problem with five gallons. I pay less than 8 cents a kw/h here. It might be worth doing someday.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:29:47 pm by Malticulous »

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »
In addition to having three tanks to run between brewing and BBQing I've got the camping bottles for an emergency, and one of these:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-steak-saver-adapter/24028
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »
In addition to having three tanks to run between brewing and BBQing I've got the camping bottles for an emergency, and one of these:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-steak-saver-adapter/24028

A pin valve adapter. I want one for my C02. I ran out of CO2 Christmas day and finally was able to get it refilled. I have a 20 oz paintball tank just sitting here.