General Category > Equipment and Software

Better Bottle question

(1/3) > >>

chezteth:
Hi All.  I am considering purchasing a couple of better bottles.  I really like the idea of them being light weight and unbreakable.  Plus they are actually cheaper than glass carboys now.   I have heard that you have to replace them every couple of years as they get "worn out".  For those of you out there that use better bottles would you say this is true?  How long can they be used for?  Any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Brandon

scottyb:
3+ years on mine and still good

theDarkSide:
I've got 2 years on my 6 gallon BB and still good ( well as good as I brew that is ).

A tip for you...get yourself a couple milk crates to put them in so when you pick them up, they won't flex and suck stuff back in through the airlock. 

I wish they would make a 6.5 gallon version though.  I just did a 1.098 beer and came up short on volume ( 4.5 gallon ).  Good thing I did because it went nuts, even with the blowoff  tube.  Can't image what my basement would have looked like if I had the actual 5 - 5.5 I was shooting for.

ndcube:
I've got almost two years on mine.  Considering getting more.  They're easier / safer to place in a chest freezer.

matt:

--- Quote from: theDarkSide on December 02, 2009, 01:29:48 PM ---I've got 2 years on my 6 gallon BB and still good ( well as good as I brew that is ).

A tip for you...get yourself a couple milk crates to put them in so when you pick them up, they won't flex and suck stuff back in through the airlock. 

I wish they would make a 6.5 gallon version though.  I just did a 1.098 beer and came up short on volume ( 4.5 gallon ).  Good thing I did because it went nuts, even with the blowoff  tube.  Can't image what my basement would have looked like if I had the actual 5 - 5.5 I was shooting for.

--- End quote ---

+1 on the milk crate. They are amazingly flexible. Especially when filled...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version