Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap Maintenance  (Read 1617 times)

Offline robb

• 1st Kit
Tap Maintenance
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:15 am »
I’ve been using my newly built keggerator with excellent success so far.  The question I have is do I need to do anything with the taps between regular use (I have Perlick forward sealing)?  Believe it or not it may be up to a week before I pull a glass of beer off one of the taps.  Should I be squirting anything up in the faucet to keep it clean and sanitary between  pours?

Thanks for responses so far.  Any issue with using a spray bottle of vodka to keep the tap clean and sterile?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:44:21 am by robb »

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Tap Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:52 am »
I keep a spray bottle with premixed Star-san near the kegerator. At the end of the night after the last pour, I squirt it up into the tap a few times to rinse out any beer residue. And those Perlicks are great!
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
A spray bottle of starsan works great for me too, but I do it after every pint, otherwise I'll forget at the end of the night.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »
A spray bottle of starsan works great for me too, but I do it after every pint, otherwise I'll forget at the end of the night.

Haha, ya lush!  I hardly ever, if ever, spray my faucets...maybe I should.  Never had any issues with sticking after a couple days.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:18:10 am »

Haha, ya lush!  I hardly ever, if ever, spray my faucets...maybe I should.  Never had any issues with sticking after a couple days.
;D

There's sticking, and there's the potential for something to grow.  I just avoid it all by spraying.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:27:16 am »
Hmmm, I like the spray idea, although the Perlicks drain and dry. So far the keggies haven't lasted that long. When they kick I fill them with a PBW solution and run it through the tap. Let it sit for a day, then do the same with sanitizer and let that sit until the keg is filled with beer again.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....