Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tamales  (Read 7815 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Tamales
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
Parchment paper sounds interesting. I'll it in my next batch. If anything, make sure you use plenty of fat in the masa so it won't stick to the paper.

You can probably find the husks online. They don't go bad.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 05:53:21 pm »
Hey gmac, you can use just green corn husks. They dont have to be dry. In fact if you use fresh green corn husks they impart a much better flavor into the tamales. They are easier to work with too, no soaking needed. Corn on the cob might be hard to come by this time of year though.

My neighbors make these really good tamales from fresh corn. They husk the corn and use the husks. Then they make a a mash from the kernels that they removed from the cob. That is spiced a little wrapped up in the leaves and steamed. WOW, they are awesome.

And redbeerman, what is not good for you in tamales? IF you are worried about cholesterol there are plenty of tamale recipes without pork fat. Such as the one above.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »
I just wish I'd kept some corn husks.  Next year.  I actually look at corn for a living (yes, it's as exciting as it sounds) and I should have known better and grabbed a few handfuls. 
I'll try the green husks next year.  Thanks for the advice. 

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 07:15:48 am »
When done right of course. I worked as a line cook in a Mexican restaurant many moons ago and we made the greatest tamales on the planet.

As my mother says Gringo's can't cook real Mexican food, "it comes from  the soul of the cook" ;)

Who am I to argue with mom? LOL
I sure miss the smell of her cooking for days on end before the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:18:40 am by uthristy »

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 07:41:24 am »
Do you have any of your moms recipes that you could share?

We do a Nicaraguan feast at least once a year.that includes Nacatamal. They are wrapped in banana leaves or steamed in a clay pot.

Dulce tamales are great too. We make coconut tamales. Sweetened condensed milk tamales. Banana tamales.

Here is a chocolata tamale.

And here is a raspberry tamale.

Yep, gringos can make tamales, but only if they learned from a Mexican.  ;)

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:29:14 am »
Do you have any of your moms recipes that you could share?

No but my sister does and says its not the same, mom would get her supplies in Ciudad Juárez (her hometown) every year.Take simple Chorizo, the only brand that she would use is Peyton's  and I have never seen it east of Texas, all others are hard - nasty and bland.

Great now I have the munchies :D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 11:39:38 am »
Great looking tamales cap. I've got ideas for tamales. Haha watch out Bobby Flay.

Seems like there's as many ways to make tamales as there is beer. Every one of my female colleagues told me a different way to make them- especially in regards to cooking time. One flat out told me she won't do it since there's too much work involved. Dunno I thought it was easy.

Uthristy I believe we get Peyton's chorizo here. And you're right- bad chorizo ain't worth squat.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »
Would naked tamales steam up ok? I'm thinking rolling it up like sushi, using a mat of some sort. At least looking at the pictures of the masa, then the filling on a leaf to use for rolling - Mexican sushi. :)

I was reading something else on another site saying the leaves and parchment paper were initially used to protect the food from the cooking vessel leaching toxins into the food. Or I suppose just to keep it clean. Since we've got those two problems generally licked - are naked tamales possible?

Edit: not that I can't get the supplies here around Chicago. Plenty of ethnic stuff of all sorts in this area. Just curious.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »
You will need some kind of wrapping or container. There is a stage during cooking where the dough turns to a cake batter consistence before it sets. It will most likely run all over the place.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »
You will need some kind of wrapping or container. There is a stage during cooking where the dough turns to a cake batter consistence before it sets. It will most likely run all over the place.

Ah, so cupcake tamales, creme brule tamales, ramekin tamales, poached egg shaped tamales....
I'll probably go get the husks, just like to do what if/why scenarios.
We have cake pans in various shapes - that would be really interesting, cake size tamales with a meat filling.
Can you imagine the look on the guests faces!  :o
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »
The dough also expands during cooking so you might get steamed muffin shaped tamales. It might be neat to then crisp them up under the broiler.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 11:40:51 am »
I made another 4 dozen last night. Scaled back the masa to 1/8 cup per tamale. This time I "doctored" up some molé and added that to the shredded pork. About 3/4 of the tamales also got cheese. Cooked them for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Even better than the first batch. Sublime.

Merry xmas!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:41 pm »
Lots of masa harina. Just not that wet fresh stuff that is in the bag. I have only seen that down near the boarder.

I make great dough with the dry flour. That is really good stuff but that wet stuff is amazing. Makes great tortillas. doesn't stay fresh long. When I ask for it at the Mexican grocery stores around here thats why they say they dont carry it. It has a very short shelf life.

Can you get the fresh masa harina stuff around your way?

Dude, I found out yesterday that the mexican grocery near my house has fresh masa dough.  I'm making tamales ASAP!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
I've been making a lot of tamales lately too.  Need to buy another bag of masa harina.

I know it isn't traditional per se but using rendered bacon lard instead of shortening/white lard adds a lovely flavor!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 03:34:34 pm »
Bacon fat is 100% appropriate in my book. Doing a brisket right now so maybe some beef and green chile tamales in the future? I like the muffin pan and paper inserts idea.