Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 66793 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2011, 09:03:25 pm »
I like the new HD version on his site. Monday or Tuesday.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »
Made chicken breasts with a handfull of hickory chips for the maiden voyage. My hands smell like bacon (not sure if this is a good thing or not I hope I wake up with all fingers).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »
Muaahahahaha! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bosoxsbrews

• Cellarman
  • Reading Pa.
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2012, 08:14:26 am »
I was looking at BGEs the other day and couldn't decide between the large and the XL, which probably means that I'd like one in between.  And which also means I'll likely buy the bigger one.  Looks like I'll need 3 people to help me put it together, though.

I have a nice gas grill, but was looking to replace an old water smoker that died, plus be able to do charcoal cooking, wood-fired pizzas, and maybe some tandoori.  Can the BGE do all those things?  It seems like it has a lot of excellent features, but I was wondering how many different cooking techniques can be applied successfully on this beast.  Not just what's possible, but what is actually a good idea to do.

I know I am coming in late here on this topic but I have had a XL BGE for two years now and love it , I added the BGE while still keeping my Weber Genesis for quick grilling. Most recent accomplishment was thisz years Christmas turkey 18lb bird cooked over Wicked Good lump charcoal and Ozark Oaks Lump ... tiny bit of applewood for a little smoke ( didn't want to overkill it ) cooked at 350 degrees AND came out amazing for the family.

I have used it for everything and really do recommend one for anyone who loves to BBQ and Grill. They are the ulitimate versatile backyard cooking tool .
Life's Loves ....the Red Sox and beer...

There you go, more negative waves! Have a little faith, baby! Have a little faith...

When in doubt ...poke it with a stick...

Offline bosoxsbrews

• Cellarman
  • Reading Pa.
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:30 am »
Locally, Dizzy Pig BBQ is having their "DizzyFest" / "Big Green Egg Fest" this weekend

http://dizzypigbbq.com/

Dizzy Pig rubs are the $hit .... I love 'em ...I combine the Raging River with the Dizzy Dust for my ribs and Boston Butt's ....

There you go, more negative waves! Have a little faith, baby! Have a little faith...

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
I know I am coming in late here on this topic but I have had a XL BGE for two years now and love it , I added the BGE while still keeping my Weber Genesis for quick grilling. Most recent accomplishment was thisz years Christmas turkey 18lb bird cooked over Wicked Good lump charcoal and Ozark Oaks Lump ... tiny bit of applewood for a little smoke ( didn't want to overkill it ) cooked at 350 degrees AND came out amazing for the family.

I have used it for everything and really do recommend one for anyone who loves to BBQ and Grill. They are the ulitimate versatile backyard cooking tool .
[/quote]

I did a 12# turkey last sunday, using cowboy ( goodlump from the bag don't like the chemical smell) Did it in a Brine and 2 handfulls of applewood with apple in the cavities. The best ever nice smoke ring. It looked like I was cutting a sponge soaked in water. I was a bourbon red turkey the smallest one in the freezer next on with involve the bourbon some how.

my bird cooked at 200 (4.5 hrs) till I stoked it to 350 for another hour. It looked like peking duck on the out side.

Offline bosoxsbrews

• Cellarman
  • Reading Pa.
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:41 am »
Boulderbrewer check out this site for good reviews on lump ... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I have heard terrible things about Cowboy

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:48 am »
Has anyone ever tried making their BGE into a cold smoker?  I'm wondering about using some flexible metal dryer hose and duct tape and shunting the smoke over to a vented box.  I want to cold smoke some fish and some more malt.  Just wondering if anyone's tried something like this and if screwing with the top vent will make it stop burning.  I know you can smoke fish on the BGE but cold smoked and warm smoked are very different things with fish.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2012, 08:25:49 am »
Has anyone ever tried making their BGE into a cold smoker?  I'm wondering about using some flexible metal dryer hose and duct tape and shunting the smoke over to a vented box.  I want to cold smoke some fish and some more malt.  Just wondering if anyone's tried something like this and if screwing with the top vent will make it stop burning.  I know you can smoke fish on the BGE but cold smoked and warm smoked are very different things with fish.

Yeah, this is doable, although the way I've seen most people do it is they have either a tiny green egg with flexible duct where the daisywheel would go, directing into the lower air vent for the BGE. Another way to do it would be to do the same with an old weber smokey joe, buy an extra lid and cut a hole in it for a duct. Never tried it myself but it certainly seems like a winner.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:20 am »

Yeah, this is doable, although the way I've seen most people do it is they have either a tiny green egg with flexible duct where the daisywheel would go, directing into the lower air vent for the BGE. Another way to do it would be to do the same with an old weber smokey joe, buy an extra lid and cut a hole in it for a duct. Never tried it myself but it certainly seems like a winner.

That is exactly what I do, plus I have a box with screen-bottom shelves about 16 feet of ductwork away from the hot smoke.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2012, 11:07:50 am »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:11:25 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »
Boulderbrewer check out this site for good reviews on lump ... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

So where do you buy lump?  The only thing I see around here is cowboy, maybe I need to shop in a different place or buy online.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
That is on the smoking thread right?

Edit: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=2814.0

Yep, that's almost exactly what I was thinking.  But, I'm not buying another bbq so I'll give the egg a try.  I just wasn't sure if it would draw enough to keep burning.

Offline bosoxsbrews

• Cellarman
  • Reading Pa.
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:31 am »

So where do you buy lump?  The only thing I see around here is cowboy, maybe I need to shop in a different place or buy online.

I am lucky this place is 10 mins from my house
www.fredsmusicandbbq.com

Awesome shop....got my egg there.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:00 pm »

Around here the store brand at a few places is Royal Oak. Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak, BGE brand is Royal Oak (at a higher price).

There look to be a number of stores around Seattle selling Wicked Good. If a place carries Wicked Good, they probably have some other decent stuff too.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/washington.htm