Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 66489 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:37:59 am »
Plus it's my birthday today, so it's easy to use that as an excuse.

AHHHHHH,  Happy Birthday!
Looking forward to regular reviews, insights and pictures of your BGE in action.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:28:14 am »
Plus it's my birthday today, so it's easy to use that as an excuse.

Happy Birthday, Gordon!
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 07:39:28 am »
Happy Birthday!  8)
Ron Price

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 08:09:22 am »
I knew there was a good reasong to be looking into a BGE purchase!  Happy Birthday!

Anything low and slow or smoked, you will want to use the plate setter.  It is by far the most used Eggsessory I have.

If you are using the Egg nest with wheels, be very careful when moving it around.  It is not a wide base, and the wheels are small.  Any cracks or rocks that you run over could tip it.

There are also a lot of opinions on the "best" charcoal to use.  Definitely go with natural lump charcoal only (no briquettes!).  Depending on where in the country you are, there are many options.  It seems for an economy fuel, any made by Royal Oak (packaged under many store brand names, or just Royal Oak) and Cowboy seem to be fairly poplular.  The BGE brand stuff is good, but expensive.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag  This is a good site with reviews on more brands of charcoal than you will most likely see in your lifetime.

Have fun with your new toy.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:45 am »
Happy B-day Gordon!

Definitely go with the Royal Oak.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »
Happy belated.

I'm not concerned about what it can do or the size but I'd love to see some posts on how you people talked their spouse into letting them get one.  That's my only stumbling block today or I'd have one already.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:25 am »
Does she like food?  Does she like it when she doesn't cook said food?  That should be the end of the discussion.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 11:33:15 am »
Happy belated.

I'm not concerned about what it can do or the size but I'd love to see some posts on how you people talked their spouse into letting them get one.  That's my only stumbling block today or I'd have one already.

The food coming out of the BGE is amazing. I've stopped using sauces and my rubs have become minimal. Usually salt and pepper with maybe another spice. The flavor of the meat and what the smoker imparts upon it is fantastic enough that really only salt is required.

Think of the fortune you'll save on spices!  ::)

Does she like food?  Does she like it when she doesn't cook said food?  That should be the end of the discussion.

Perfect line of logic there.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 01:29:37 pm »
I'm late to the party, but if the budget is unlimited, I'd suggest you go for one of these (don't confuse them with lesser brands with a similar name)...I don't have one...yet...
http://www.komodokamado.com/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:26:10 am by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »
Three Large! I can't talk myself into a grand for the BGE. What do you people do for a living?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »
That certainly is the cadillac of ceramic smokers. It even comes with a BBQ Guru adapter. I rationalized the expense for the BGE (wanted one) but a Weber smoky mountain probably would have been sufficient.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:36 pm »

I ran this by her.  Her reply:
Do you like sex?  Do you like it when you don't get said sex? 
That was the end of the discussion.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:31 pm »

With an attitude like that it's time to trade for a new model.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 01:30:00 am »

With an attitude like that it's time to trade for a new model.

You know, I think my wife would have the same reaction if I came to her with something like that. If you don't say it as a joke, it comes across as really offensive. I would have phrased it like this (with a smile or a fake pout-y look):

"Darling, you know how much I'd love to help in the kitchen, but my cooking fu is very weak. I simply don't have the same natural ability as you do, which is why I need this to help me!"

Probably won't get you very far either way, but at least you won't be in the doghouse. Maybe.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 06:29:17 am »
Three Large! I can't talk myself into a grand for the BGE. What do you people do for a living?

Of course I can make BBQ in a cheapo upright (and have for years), but I still plan to one day drop the coin on a KK. FWIW - I work as an engineer in a sales related position. I'm also super, duper frugal so when I purchase something it is well made, high quality and will last an extremely long time. Otherwise I build it myself ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!