Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 66488 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
First thing I cook is going to be groundhog...

;D   :D   ;D   Good one!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 06:59:14 pm »
Post some pics on the bbq thread.  ;D

Ron Price

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »
What are your thoughts or experiences on the Primo 778 Extra-Large Oval. My thoughts are it is made in the USA , it is oval (better grilling area) and you can seperate it in indirect heat and direct heat.

I'm just searching for the best for me, Egg guys no offense.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »
I say go for it. It's basically the same as a BGE. I like the size- if you are cooking for more people it sounds and looks great.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »
We are cooking for 2 but I like the control. Roasting/smoking turkey are considerations, smoking alot might be the deal breaker. If I can fine a BGE for less I will go that way. Kicking my self for passing for a large one for 650 on Craigs list.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:25 am »
We are cooking for 2 but I like the control. Roasting/smoking turkey are considerations, smoking alot might be the deal breaker. If I can fine a BGE for less I will go that way. Kicking my self for passing for a large one for 650 on Craigs list.

I spent a lot of time thinking about getting a BGE and after at least 6 months my wife said just do it.  So I did a lot more digging and someone told me about Bubba Kegs or the Big Steel Keg (BSK).  I ended up ordering a BSK from Sears and had it shipped to my local store

Here is a link to the Bubba Keg on amazon: http://amzn.to/khB4Yj

Though the Bubba Keg was replaced by the Big Steel Keg but I couldn't find those on amazon.  I think the original company InZone sold the product to someone else.  I still see them at my local ACE Hardware.  They usually go for 599 and include a lot of stuff you have to pay extra for with the others.  At the local ACE they have a deal where if you buy the grill you get the diffuser for free, though I'm not sure if that is just my local ACE that does that.

Along with my Maverick wireless thermometer (http://amzn.to/jmjqXX) I've been really happy.  The first couple of overnight smokes I did I would wake up to the alarm from the maverick because my temp was too low or high, but the last 5 or 6 that I've done I haven't been woken up and the temp is just nailed.  It's probably the same for any cooker, it takes a little while to get the feel of it.

Aside from the normal smoking and grilling my favorite thing to cook on it is pizza.  Comes out perfect, though I need to get a larger diameter pizza stone but I usually just make 2-4 in a row and the timing is perfect.  Throw one on and there is just enough time to shape and prep the next one so as soon as it comes off I put the next one on.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
The BGE should be more than adequate to cook for two people. If you can find one new for less than $700 snap it up. I got the plate-setter and the nest. After sales tax it was $943.50! Unassembled...

Really don't need the nest but the plate-setter is critical. I wouldn't expect the egg to resale for $700 but think $650 is a decent price- especially if it's got the accessories.

Love mine- it's an efficient cooker no matter what temp. I use Royal Oak lump charcoal and there's barely any ash- especially if you crank it up. I've pretty much got ribs down, and have a handle on brisket. Done some long cooks on it.

My next upgrade will most likely be a BBQ Guru even though it isn't needed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:07 am »

Along with my Maverick wireless thermometer (http://amzn.to/jmjqXX) I've been really happy.  The first couple of overnight smokes I did I would wake up to the alarm from the maverick because my temp was too low or high, but the last 5 or 6 that I've done I haven't been woken up and the temp is just nailed.  It's probably the same for any cooker, it takes a little while to get the feel of it.

I might just get one of those. Looks handy.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:26 am »

I might just get one of those. Looks handy.

It's awesome having a temp probe for the smoker temp and one for the food temp.  When I'm smoking a pork butt or brisket I use both but I'm really mostly concerned with the smoker temp.  I regularly throw a meatloaf on there at about 300-350 and that is when the food probe really is useful.  It worked really good for smoking the thanksgiving turkey too.

The only time I normally use the alarm functionality is when I'm doing something overnight, otherwise I just keep an eye on the remote unit.  Certainly beats having to run outside in the winter and check on it

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 01:40:16 am »
My next upgrade will most likely be a BBQ Guru even though it isn't needed.

I loves me BBQ Guru. That thing is awesome.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:24 am »
Jeeze,  I work with fancy-schmancy controls all day.  When I cook on open fire I want to cook like Fred Flintstone!   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 05:26:00 am »
I use a stoker on an egg. Like a BBQ guru but it serves a web page which is a much more direct way to get what I wanted - web monitoring and control.

Pretty slick going to work with something on the cooker and watching it and ramping the temp down when it is about done to hold it until you get home.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:58 am »
A friend says his son now sell BGEs and he can get me one for dealer cost (about 600 for a big one) and my wife still won't let me. Do you agree that this should be grounds for separation, or at least a lengthy discussion? 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:19 am »
A friend says his son now sell BGEs and he can get me one for dealer cost (about 600 for a big one) and my wife still won't let me. Do you agree that this should be grounds for separation, or at least a lengthy discussion? 

JEEZ $600?!?!? Like Euge, I paid close to $1,000 for mine. They sell them in Europe, too, but the TINY one is 1200 euros (!) so for $600 you're getting the deal of the century. If it'll sway her any, the BGE will be pretty much the last grill you ever buy. Does she have a favorite food? My wife was upset at me at first (I bought the thing pretty much without telling her, which is something I never ever do) but then I cooked her a 2" thick tomahawk steak for anniversary dinner and she changed her tune toot sweet.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
Can he hook any of the rest of us up?  I'll pay cash. ;D  I've been eying one for years . . . some day.
Tom Schmidlin