Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 66491 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:32 am »
The felt is starting to come loose at the hinge-side of the egg. That's also for some reason a hot-spot. Regardless, what do I do about the felt coming loose? It looks like a rapidly degrading situation.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 02:01:26 am »
I was at a store that sells them today and was checking them out.  I picked up a pamphlet, it has "gasket replacement kits" in them.

XLarge - GKHDXL
Large - GKHDL
Medium, Small, or Mini - GKHDM

No prices listed.  Check if you're covered under the warranty, or just buy a new one.  No idea who sells them near you though.

There's videos on youtube for "big green egg gasket replacement" too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 03:18:07 am »
The felt is starting to come loose at the hinge-side of the egg. That's also for some reason a hot-spot. Regardless, what do I do about the felt coming loose? It looks like a rapidly degrading situation.

My tendancy towards t-rexing means that I had to replace the default gasket with the high-temp one. It wasn't terribly hard, but I am BAD BAD BAD at re-seating the BGE lid. It's just a little sideways now. Anyway replacing the gasket is pretty easy, you need some white spirits and a paint scraper. Don't use steel wool, it'll scratch at the ceramic. Make sure you get all the little black scrapes of adhesive off. Get some 3M Super 77 (I think that's what it's called) - it's like aerosolized super glue, so be careful - and then very carefully apply the new gasket, making sure not to stretch it. You'll have a bit left after you apply it for both the top and bottom. If I could do it, you could do it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:07 pm »
Thinking, (Just thinking), maybe wood stove rope and the 77 glue would work well

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »
I replaced mine as well. Not hard. Pretty sure the replacement came with instructions and I just followed those.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
Going on Saturday, maybe I can swing a 2fer, I'll let you know.

Roasted a turkey in the oven this week, in spite of the fire alarms it turned out way better that any other turkey.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:40:37 pm by boulderbrewer »

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
$720 for a large one, nothing else. I think we are going to take the plunge. Providing I can make a table and rack for it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2011, 11:30:38 pm »
That's a decent price. A table should just be a matter of 2x4's and plywood. Or expensive board if you choose.

If I were to sell mine it would be pretty much full price. Firm. But she's not for sale! Not ever!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »
Nice to know I'm not over paying. I owe you a beer!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2011, 07:36:33 am »
$720 for a large one, nothing else. I think we are going to take the plunge. Providing I can make a table and rack for it.

that's a very good price!  you will absolutely love it.  you will get three little feet to put under it that you can use right off, before you build your table.  you'll need those three feet and a concrete paver once you get the table built.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:48 am »
Anybody have experience with either the small or the mini? Thinking about getting one to be a sort of Hibachi to my Large egg's WSM.
----

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 08:59:11 am »
OP here...  I did want to report that I got it set up and have used it a few times.  Works great, holds heat well, takes a bit of getting used to when controlling the temperature.  First recipe was a spatchcocked chicken with a Thai wet rub.  Basically followed the recipe in the book for chicken but used my own seasonings made from stuff I had in my CSA box plus a lime.  Pulled pork, steak, burgers, have all worked great too.  Haven't tried pizza yet, but it seems like it should work pretty well.

If my Father's Day present wasn't "let me go to San Diego for a week but don't whine about it" then I would have looked at one of those temperature control things.  I've heard BBQ Guru and Stoker recommended here.  Pros/cons/consensus/options?

Set it up myself.  It wasn't hard, but was a little tedious.  Moving it from the garage to the deck across the lawn was a pain.  Better to assemble it where you're going to use it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25:12 am »
OP here...  I did want to report that I got it set up and have used it a few times.  Works great, holds heat well, takes a bit of getting used to when controlling the temperature.  First recipe was a spatchcocked chicken with a Thai wet rub.  Basically followed the recipe in the book for chicken but used my own seasonings made from stuff I had in my CSA box plus a lime.  Pulled pork, steak, burgers, have all worked great too.  Haven't tried pizza yet, but it seems like it should work pretty well.

If my Father's Day present wasn't "let me go to San Diego for a week but don't whine about it" then I would have looked at one of those temperature control things.  I've heard BBQ Guru and Stoker recommended here.  Pros/cons/consensus/options?

Set it up myself.  It wasn't hard, but was a little tedious.  Moving it from the garage to the deck across the lawn was a pain.  Better to assemble it where you're going to use it.

I have a BBQ guru. It is teh awesomes. However you must minion/t-rex correctly (huge chunks on bottom, smaller on top) lest the coals collapse halfway through cooking and no air can get through. This happened to me once when I was lazy.
----

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:44 am »

The con to the Stoker is that there is only the one model. It is what I bought because it met my needs best. It serves a webpage that lets you read the current temperature and input the target temperature for arbitrarily many probes. The website is very simple and displays well on a smart phone. You do have to note the IP address which the main unit displays when it turns on and gets assigned one. I am set up to always use the same address relative to my router's address, but I don't have a static IP and this time of year in Kansas City the power tends to go out every once in a while. The comparably priced BBQ Guru CyberQ II has more sophisticated software that runs on a PC, but since the Stoker allows the data to be input and read simply via telnet one could write one's own software. There is a program called StokerLog which is available at no cost from a third party which has comparable funtionality to the BBQ Guru software.

The BBQ Guru CyberQ II is a USB slave device so it has to be connected to a computer either physically or via a wireless USB thingy. Once that is accomplished, you can certainly run it away from home with a remote desktop app or similar.

The advantage to BBQ Guru is if you don't need control away from home or via computer software as they sell several simpler models that are quite a bit cheaper. Basically like one of those remote probe thermometer things, but then you are also controlling temp via the fan.

Since one of my requirements was monitoring and control via a smart phone and the Stoker does that in the most direct way, I went that direction. The good part about this decision is that everyone who has any product from either manufacturer seems to love it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:26 am »
My inner geek wants the Stoker but my pragmatic side chooses the Guru.

I found a third option months back which is significantly cheaper. http://pitmasteriq.com/