Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 46300 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
Does anybody else have humidity problems with their egg? Am I supposed to do something other than shut the vents & lid after cooking, because I sometimes have mold problems.

i've never had any mold problems, but i have read where people have.  usually it's a result of lack of use.  how often do you use yours?  have you done the dollar bill test on the dome and base?

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »
Does anybody else have humidity problems with their egg? Am I supposed to do something other than shut the vents & lid after cooking, because I sometimes have mold problems.

i've never had any mold problems, but i have read where people have.  usually it's a result of lack of use.  how often do you use yours?  have you done the dollar bill test on the dome and base?

Yeah, and the seals are pretty loose. I replaced the gasket a while back and didn't get the lid on quite straight (it's really hard to do!) so maybe it's time to try again.

Will the ceramic be damaged at all because of this? Seems like the answer is no, but at $1k a pop I don't want to be wrong.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
there is no worry from damage.  i think the problem must be your seal, getting airflow into your egg while stored.  i have an egg i bought used with no gasket and a cocked a bit dome, but i used it a couple times a week and never for low and slow, so i haven't had that problem. 

just getting the lid straight would likely fix the problem as people go gasketless all the time.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »
I've seen some humidity build-up from time to time but no mold. My seals are tight.

Woohoo I'm doing ribs this weekend and trying a new secret ingredient in my rub.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:09 AM »
I'm probably gonna buy one of these this fall because I can get one at a very good price but I'm not sure what size.  
What is the best size in your opinion?  I'm not an experienced smoker but I'd like to be able to do it from time to time for family and friends.  Also, I don't want to get one too small because I have 4 boys and although they are young now, in 5 years we're gonna be going through meat like crazy.

So, what size is best?  L or XL?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:12:23 AM by gmac »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
I'm probably gonna buy one of these this fall because I can get one at a very good price but I'm not sure what size.  
What is the best size in your opinion?  I'm not an experienced smoker but I'd like to be able to do it from time to time for family and friends.  Also, I don't want to get one too small because I have 4 boys and although they are young now, in 5 years we're gonna be going through meat like crazy.

So, what size is best?  L or XL?

I have the large but have been up close to the XL. I can fit a surprising amount of meat and other stuff in the large with just one rack. The XL is shaped differently and looks like it will hold a great deal more than the large.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Probably gonna depend on price.  Large is looking most likely.  I need to come in under $750 so I can come across the border without paying duty.  If I can pull of an XL for that, I may go that route but I think L is enough for us.  It's not something we'll use every day (or from October to April...bbbbrrrrrrrrrr...)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • BJCP
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2011, 10:54:41 AM »
I did that tradeoff and decided on the L.  Takes less fuel, has room for plenty of stuff.  It goes up there with All-Clad.  An investment that's worth it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
Locally, Dizzy Pig BBQ is having their "DizzyFest" / "Big Green Egg Fest" this weekend

http://dizzypigbbq.com/
Joe

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
Well, I got the Large model and just put it together today.  Almost went without a hitch until the very end when I succeeded in over torquing one of the handle nuts and busting the little bolt that comes with it.  Apparently I don't know my own strength.  I'm not upset since I can likely get a replacement bolt or have one made easy enough.  Pain to loosen the dome to re-install but that's my penance for being a dumb-ass.  For now, I can still use it if I'm a bit careful when I open and close the lid.

So, what should I cook first?  Anyone have any good recipes for the BGE that I need to try?  Key imperative here is that it has to be awesome to overcome my wife's lack of enthusiasm at my purchase.  She wasn't that thrilled, despite the fact that I got it brand new for $700.  Nice to have friends with connections.

I'm thinking either ribs, pork butt or smoked chicken.  Thoughts?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
Spatchcock a chicken and either roast it at a high temp for about 1.5 hours or slow smoke it for 2.5-3 hours. Roasting will involve at least 300F, and smoking about 200-225.

Congrats! Your wife will come around.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
Hot Dogs!   ;D ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
If I were you, I'd cook whatever your wife likes most. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
Santa came early, he brought a large BGE!!!!

Made a table and will start on tuesday once the spar dries, first thing is split chicken then a whole turkey. Might try smoking them both with birch from the wood pile.

One site I found is http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  Not sure it was ever mentioned.

Very good information.
Tribute Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
Santa came early, he brought a large BGE!!!!

Made a table and will start on tuesday once the spar dries, first thing is split chicken then a whole turkey. Might try smoking them both with birch from the wood pile.

One site I found is http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  Not sure it was ever mentioned.

Very good information.

Congrats! When's dinner? :D

TKW has a pretty extensive database of charcoal. His videos of opening the egg at high temps show some pretty awesome flareups.