Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does WLP002 develop a large Kraeusen?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Does WLP002 develop a large Kraeusen?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »
Oh yes! Some yeast can blow the top off the bucket or the lock off the carboy. I just lay the lid on or crack it to vent all that pressure.

And if the pitch is large and healthy, with a nice high SG it can happen too. That's why I like a lot of headspace. Fountaining beer in most circumstances is a bad thing.

Sounds like you have one of those good problems. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »
Hmmm, may have to get an extra lid and modify it for a fat hose for the first few days.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 10:04:21 am »
I'm afraid that not having had a blow-off on this beer left it's mark. I'm
getting the harsh bitterness finish that I associate with a Kraeusen that fell back into the beer.

Kai

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 10:20:33 am »
I'm afraid that not having had a blow-off on this beer left it's mark. I'm
getting the harsh bitterness finish that I associate with a Kraeusen that fell back into the beer.

Kai

I'll be tasting mine today. Will report back on this if I'm not too full of holiday cheer.  ;)

Merry xmas!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 10:08:17 am »

Thought it looked a little strange in the vial. Almost like ricotta grains.

Euge!
i finally found this two words i was loooking for and found it in this old post,  ricotta grains!
i made an IPA last sunday and since is the first time i use WLP002 got a little concern about the look in the vial just before i openned and pitch it to the starter... very strange like you say, grains!, so is this normal?

im making 5 galon in a bucket and today in the morning was almost the lid off it becouse of the pressure... man! to vigorous!
Al Equihua

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:52 am »

Thought it looked a little strange in the vial. Almost like ricotta grains.

Euge!
i finally found this two words i was loooking for and found it in this old post,  ricotta grains!
i made an IPA last sunday and since is the first time i use WLP002 got a little concern about the look in the vial just before i openned and pitch it to the starter... very strange like you say, grains!, so is this normal?

im making 5 galon in a bucket and today in the morning was almost the lid off it becouse of the pressure... man! to vigorous!

yeah that's normal for WLP002. it will compact into a solid mass that is hard to get back into solution. I was dumping the cake from a batch into the compost and it was oozing out the carboy openign like a big think worm. totally gross but it makes for nice clear beer!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 03:09:39 pm »
glad to hear that... thanks!

i was a little concern about the big fermentation and i escape from work to home just to make shure it was safe hahaha,
i think that's part of : "you're know you are a hombrewer when......"

Al
Al Equihua