Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first major screwup.......  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: My first major screwup.......
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »
Two things I learned about drywall.

1, Lost of very thin coats are much better than 2 or 3 heavy ones.

2. Don't dry sand, but use a sponge with a web on it and wet sand it. If you followed step 1 closely, you won't need much sanding anyway.

+1,000,000 on the wet sanding with a sponge.  Smoother results and no dust.
Joe

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »
Two things I learned about drywall.

1, Lost of very thin coats are much better than 2 or 3 heavy ones.

2. Don't dry sand, but use a sponge with a web on it and wet sand it. If you followed step 1 closely, you won't need much sanding anyway.

Yes thin coats are good. The sanding experience was earlier in my drywall career. I have tried the wet sanding, but found that one has to be careful not to go through the paper. I now use a sander with a suction hose on it, connected to a shop vac, but first running through a bucket of water which traps the dust. VERY effective.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:05 am »
Cool.... as soon as I figgered out what happened I dropped a sanitized wort chiller in there and got it below 70ยบ.......I'm going to say it was above that for maybe 10 minutes, no more.

Yes, I will atone and drink it all....... in fact I will tell everyone else something horrible happened to it and they can't have any.

Thanks for all the comments. Even the one about my avatar. For the record, that is a self portrait titled "Agent Zork" and it was taken after a particularly heavy duty dry-wall mud sanding session...... ;D
10 minutes?!  It's ruined!!! ;)

You're totally fine, you probably won't notice a thing since you dropped the temp so quickly.  If you do notice anything it is probably your imagination.

In the future though, if you pitch warm enough to kill the yeast (generally 105F+ makes them really unhappy) then you can definitely pitch more yeast once you get it down to an appropriate temperature.  Lab yeast strain growth temp is 86F, "heat shock" temp is ~108F for 45 seconds.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 07:04:21 am »
Thanks Tom. As of right now it's sitting next to me happily rattling away....... 8)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....