Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giant Tea Ball instead of Hop Bag?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Giant Tea Ball instead of Hop Bag?
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »
I used a giant stainless steel tea ball (I think it's made for infusing spices into soups and mulled wine) to contain a couple ounces of tettnanger I used for bittering my Altbier last batch... it's still fermenting, so I don't know if the results were goof... but before I try it again, I was wondering if anyone has had bad experiences using something like this in lieu of a hop bag. Normally I use nothing to contain my hops, but when I brew with really large quantities of pellet hops, I need something to keep the hops from clogging my system.

Offline scottyb

• Cellarman
  • avatar changed at mods insistence
    • national ghost hunters
Re: Giant Tea Ball instead of Hop Bag?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »
I use a tea ball for "dry hopping" in the keg, use nylon bags for hops in the boil.
Boat,Brew,Ski, Repeat

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »
I just bought one to use for vanilla beans in the keg.  It's oblong shaped, made for soups 'n stuff.  Plan to use it for DH too.  I'm curious how yours works out...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »
I started using one a few batches ago. For pellet hops it seems to work fine. Some of the finer stuff gets through the mesh. For leaf hops it works perfect.

The ball I am using has a 4 inch diameter. It is plenty big for most hop additions.