Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Bitterness as a function of OG  (Read 1721 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Bitterness as a function of OG
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:14 am »
In another thread about SMASH, someone mentions hopping to an HBU value equaling the points of the OG. This is the first time I've heard of this relationship. He mentions 1:1 Does anyone else consider this ratio?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bitterness as a function of OG
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
That's pretty much how I decide on the bittering of a beer.  Either through research or experience I determine a BU:GU (bittering units:gravity units) ratio and use that as a guide.  For example, for AIPA I like 1:1 or even 1.25:1.  For German pils, it's .8-1:1.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:53 am »
It is more or less self evident that the balance between bitterness and malt flavor and sweetness is an important recipe consideration. All else being equal, original gravity is a proxy for residual malt flavor and sweetness.

In terms of formerly thinking of a bittering unit to gravity unit ratio, like a lot of people I first read that in Designing Great Beers.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:00:26 am »
I agree.  Ray Daniels describes this in his book Designing Great Beers.  I do not know if the idea originated with Ray.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:35 am »
In terms of formerly thinking of a bittering unit to gravity unit ratio, like a lot of people I first read that in Designing Great Beers.

That one is siting on my desk and is next on my reading list, right after I finish Palmer, again. Of course there's also Making Cheese and Farmhouse Ales.......so many books, so little time.....sigh.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:38 am »
The more I brew, the more it seems I keep going back to my recipes that have that 1:1 ratio (or close to it).
They just seem to shine a little brighter than most of the others.
Folks I share my beers with that have no knowledge of brewing seem to prefer them, as well.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:34:07 am »
You need to read Desiging Great Beers.  This is very very important.  Priority One.

Yeah, the BU:GU ratio has been around for a while because of that book.  Very handy.  Following link has a chart for each style.  Pretty schnazy.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rohw0009/homebrewing/calculator/bvcalc.htm
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.