Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Copper boil kettle - taste impact?  (Read 23394 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Copper boil kettle - taste impact?
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:22:25 am »
Can anyone can cite a source, or even from personal experience if boiling wort in a copper vs stainless steel vs aluminum brew pot impacts final taste of a beer.  I'm thinking if any, maybe lagers could be impacted.

I'm interested in historical brewing, specifically 1890-1910,  and from what I understand, boil kettles were made of copper then.

Wondering if I need a copper kettle to replicate taste. I have a stainless one now. 

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Copper boil kettle - taste impact?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:02 am »
AFAIK Kettles in most micro breweries are still copper. Although not a brewer, my chemist dad says it helps to bind sulfites. But mostly copper is valued for it's heat conductivity properties, ie, the heat spreads out nicely instead of concentrating anywhere which can cause scorching. Aluminum has similar properties, and many people use it to brew. Stainless tends to be less optimum in this regard which is why extract recipes make you turn off the heat when adding things.

The reason they used copper "back then" is because they had two choices, copper or iron and I do believe iron is not conducive to tasty brewing.

I have been using copper for my extract brews, and they taste great. Going all grain I will have to use a converted keg though as finding a 10+G copper kettle would obliterate the budget.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:48:54 am »
Stainless tends to be less optimum in this regard which is why extract recipes make you turn off the heat when adding things.

It's not just stainless, to be safe, you want to kill the heat as you're adding the extract regardless of your kettle material.
Joe

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:05:43 am »
Understood, I do.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:16:31 am »
A little copper in the wort is a micronutrient for the yeast.

You can brew in stainless, copper of aluminum pots.  Cantillon has an iron brew kettle, so I have seen one that does not follow the rules.

Not all microbreweries us copper kettles.  Some do.  Many are stainless.  If you ever go to the New Glarus Hilltop brewery they have a gleaming copper brewhouse.  If the brewkettle is open, and you can look into it, you will see it is all stainless on the inside, the copper is for looks.  Same with Sierra Nevada's 200 barrel system.   
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:03 am »
If the brewkettle is open, and you can look into it, you will see it is all stainless on the inside, the copper is for looks.  Same with Sierra Nevada's 200 barrel system.

Fooled again....... :-\

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I understand the history and why copper used - interested in the taste aspect.

I'm wondering if it makes a taste difference in final beer - either from personal experience, or able to cite any reference as I have found none.

If there is a difference, I may be able to get same effect by placing my copper immersion chiller  in the kettle with the wort before boil.

I'll do a small batch experiment with and without copper to see.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:33:50 am »
probably hard to prove, you'd have to brew the exact recipe with everything the same except the 2 kettles (and have them as close as possible other than the metal type). lots of good beer is brewed without copper. copper provides the yeast with additional nutrients, but you can have a healthy fermentation without use of copper. anything you can do to make your yeasties happy (well, not including a high ferm temp, though they certainly like that ..... party time!) makes for better beer. you could always use some copper tubing in your kettle to provide the yeast with a taste of copper.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:22:56 am »
Copper is used in stills to help remove sulfer based compounds...or so I've heard...I've never engaged in distilling...I really only know how to do it in theory.

But I'd have doubts that any such effect occurs with a wort boil in copper.

As others have pointed out, trace copper is helpful to yeast, but some sources say malt has trace amounts of copper in it...but how much "trace" is enough?
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24:10 am »
My guess is that the use of copper in traditional boiling vessels came about pretty much for reasons...it worked, and obviously SS wasn't an option back then.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:24 am »
If the brewkettle is open, and you can look into it, you will see it is all stainless on the inside, the copper is for looks.  Same with Sierra Nevada's 200 barrel system.

Fooled again....... :-\

You will find smaller systems that are copper on the inside.  Some of the ones in Europe are probably copper.  You have to look to be sure.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:21:03 am »
So for the copper to benefit the wort how much should there be? My pick-up tube is copper. And so is my IC- though I generally put that in at flameout.

How long should the exposure/contact be and will a minimal amount suffice? I think someone posted in another similar thread that they toss a copper penny into the boil.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:30 am »
I have a copper immersion chiller that I boil in the wort for the last 15 min. I think using a copper kettle would be similar to that. It would be interesting to brew a beer w/ and w/o this chiller in the wort. 

Copper was popular because it was easily formed into kettles. These days it only serves as decorative cover over SS brewing equipment. Mostly because SS is cheaper and is more easily cleaned than copper.

Kai

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Kai - thanks for the info, and thanks for a fine history of German brewing on your  web site.  I'm finding this very helpful in my research as the brewers that I am trying to replicate (Robinon's, Scranton, PA) trained in Worms Bavaria around 1860-1870. They came back to Scranton and build a "state of the art" brewery in 1876. 

For my historic brew, I'll keep the immersion chiller in the pot for bout 30 minute before end of boil to help replicate a copper kettle when using my my stainless brew pot.

I'll be posting more question/updates on this research project, already have a lot of question on replicating ingredients and methods.  May need a historic brewing section of this forum. ;-)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:53 pm »
Throw a piece of 1/2 copper tubing about 1" long in the brew pot. It makes a great boil chip but rattles like hell.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee