Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nitro - How quickly can i get it pouring  (Read 1440 times)

Offline thehorse

• Cellarman
Nitro - How quickly can i get it pouring
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:57:12 am »
So I have a robust porter in the fermenter that is done. I just got my beer gas setup, and would love to pour some beer out of it by Sat evening. I know that I probably have about .9 volumes of C02 already in the beer so I need to get it to about 1.2.

I'm assuming I can do this by just a little shaking and then hook it up to beer gas.

My question is, will it pour ok assuming that I get the c02 right?

Does any of the nitrogen actually get dissolved in the beer or is it only for pushing? I've read different opinions.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Nitro - How quickly can i get it pouring
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:12:38 am »
From what I've read, a very small amount of the N2 can dissolve in the beer, but it is mostly for pushing.  You can carbonate with plain CO2 or with the blend, I've done both and both work.

If you want 1.2 volumes then set the CO2 pressure based on the temp of the beer and shake it a lot.  Go rest, then shake it some more.  Shake it as much as you can over the next 30 hours.  You can hook it up to the beer gas right before serving.  Do you know how to determine your beer gas serving pressure?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thehorse

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »
Thanks for your response.  I got busy and didn't get a chance to respond.  Anyway, the beer was at about 32 F, so I shook it up a little bit in and attempt to get it to about 1.2.  Then hooked it up to beer gas and there was just a little cascade.  I hooked it back up to C02 and shook a little more.  Put it back on beer gas with the in hooked up to the long dip tube and slowly released the air in the keg to allow a trickle of beer gas to flow through the beer in an attempt to dissolve a little Nitro.

Anyway, it worked out great.  The beer gas step may have not been needed, but the beer poured all night and was great.

Thanks!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:22:54 am »
Anyway, it worked out great.  The beer gas step may have not been needed, but the beer poured all night and was great.
Poured all night?  Shouldn't it have kicked after the first hour? :)

Glad it turned out well.
Tom Schmidlin