Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me clone Hillshire Farms  (Read 10325 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Help me clone Hillshire Farms
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 10:27:30 pm »
No disrespect intended, because tastes vary...but honestly, Hillshire would be the farthest example I can think of to represent  Polish kielbasa.  It is really nothing at all like the real deal

In any case, if you really want to try to emulate it, use a lot of salt and a lot of MSG with the following as a guide:

2  lbs beef, coarsely ground
2 lbs pork, coarsley ground
NOTE-- Real kielbasa should not contain any beef, just pork.
1 to 1 1/2 lbs  lb pork fat (preferably leaf lard, the fat from around the kidneys)...don't scrimp on the fat, you'll wind up with really dry sausage.
1 Tblsp  powdered Marjoram
2 to 3 Tblsp salt
1/2 cup ice water
1 Tblsp (or more) white pepper
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder**
1/2  Tblps sugar**
1/2 Tblsp Corn Syrup Solids**
1 tsp MSG**
Prague Powder #1 or Morton Curing Salt** (amount according to package directions)

**denotes ingredients not present in real kielbasa

Grind the meat cold; mix in other ingredients and stuff fairly loosely into hog casings (or collagen casings)...keeping in mind that it will expand especially due to the dry milk and sugar additions   (personally, I can't stand sausage made that way)  

Hang stuffed sausage in a cool place overnight; smoke as per the method of your choice (Hillshire is smoked for a bit then steam cooked).  Hand in a draft -free place to allow the smoke flavor/color to 'bloom'.

If you want fresh sausage (ie., not smoked) leave out the curing salt, the dry milk powder, and the corn syrup solids.  The uncured kielbasa can be cooked right  away (in the oven in a very shallow bath of water is the best way).

Good luck.  But you owe it to yourself to try and score some real kielbasa...there's no comparison.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:34:08 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »
Not that I know how in the heck to make it, but HSF Polska Kielbasa is what dreams are made of. 
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:47 am »
I'm glad I was reading this thread a few days ago.  I found out about the International Deli not too far from my commute, it mostly has Eastern European stuff including meats.  I picked up some wedding sausage and swojska kielbasa.  Both are great.

I also got some vobla from the deli case, which is some kind of dried fish.  I got it on the recommendation of my brother's "mail order bride" ;D  She's funny, she calls herself that because she's from Ukraine, but she's been here ~20 years. Anyway, the fish was ok but incredibly salty.  I'm going to try some different varieties next time I go back, they had a bunch of pre-packaged stuff, including dried calamari.

I went looking for suva govedina, but I only found the brand that nic mentioned in the other thread, and based on his brief review, the lack of pricing, and the large package (hehe) I didn't buy it.  Maybe next time.

If anyone has any recommendations on stuff to buy at those kinds of places let me know, non-Americanized versions of Eastern European food are pretty new to me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 10:41:35 am »
No disrespect intended, because tastes vary...but honestly, Hillshire would be the farthest example I can think of to represent  Polish kielbasa.  It is really nothing at all like the real deal.

Good luck.  But you owe it to yourself to try and score some real kielbasa...there's no comparison.

This is where it can be had, some of the best. ;D
Joe's Meat Market, 437 Smith St, Perth Amboy, NJ 08861, 773 442 4660
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 11:47:54 am »

MightyCulturallyChallenged1vertical

Can't get there from here.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 02:11:49 pm »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:18:46 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 12:38:19 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGRpm6Tf3I

After seeing that years ago I thought it had been successfully forgotten. Thanks cap. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis