Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pouring home brew at a beer event?  (Read 6567 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pouring home brew at a beer event?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 10:47:16 am »
just like Rhineheitsgebot, which existed at the time because people were putting REALLY nasty stuff in their beer and people were getting sick.

I wasn't aware of that.  I thought it was to keep wheat in the hands of the aristocracy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 11:22:56 am »
just like Rhineheitsgebot, which existed at the time because people were putting REALLY nasty stuff in their beer and people were getting sick.

I wasn't aware of that.  I thought it was to keep wheat in the hands of the aristocracy.
I have read it was to keep wheat and rye for bread making in poor crop years, and since barley makes good beer but not so good bread have the barley go to beer production.  I have read that there were some problems with suspect ingredients, hence the definition of what could be used and penalty for use of unapproved ingredients..  It was also a tax/price law, with the loophole for the aristocracy to have their own wheat beers as Denny says.

http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 11:46:32 am »

I have read it was to keep wheat and rye for bread making in poor crop years, and since barley makes good beer but not so good bread have the barley go to beer production.  I have read that there were some problems with suspect ingredients, hence the definition of what could be used and penalty for use of unapproved ingredients..  It was also a tax/price law, with the loophole for the aristocracy to have their own wheat beers as Denny says.

I swear I read something about there being laws put in place to keep weird stuff from being put in beer. Maybe I was thinking of an English law?

http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline mthogan1997

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »
Government regulations exist to keep idiots and people of bad intention from hurting those who can't fend for themselves...

Ha ha ha. One of the best jokes I've read in awhile.

Seriously, government regulations exist to keep power in the hands of the elected (or however they got in power) or their donors.

Next you'll be saying that that the  reinheitsgebot was about keeping really nasty stuff out of beer....ooh, err, sorry. ;D

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:32 am »
Government regulations exist to keep idiots and people of bad intention from hurting those who can't fend for themselves...

Ha ha ha. One of the best jokes I've read in awhile.

Seriously, government regulations exist to keep power in the hands of the elected (or however they got in power) or their donors.

Next you'll be saying that that the  reinheitsgebot was about keeping really nasty stuff out of beer....ooh, err, sorry. ;D

I'm not saying regulation is always, always a good thing, but it definitely can be a force for good. Look at China, and all the crap that's in their water and their food and their air.

Besides, isn't wrestling regulation to your will part of the fun? (tongue somewhat in cheek)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:23 am »
Uh, guys....beer, not politics, please....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:22 am »
It seems silly, but then again, much of what the government does seems silly to me.

Know whats really silly?! That avatar of yours!  :)
Phoenix, AZ