Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advise on dry hopping  (Read 5964 times)

Offline brewandski

• 1st Kit
Advise on dry hopping
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:28:04 am »
I've never had to dry hop, so I wanted to know the best way to do it or for how long.  I've heard of people putting the hops directly into the secondary and also keeping them in a mesh bag in the secondary.  Anything you can offer would be great.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Advise on dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:30 am »
You can do it many ways.  Putting the hops in a bag eases the ability to remove them for sure.  You can add some glass or stainless steel marbles in to weigh the bag down.. or not.  Either way I don't think makes a difference.

I like to keep my dry hops in for around 7-10 days but I also like to stagger dry hop additions, so I'll add, for example, 1oz on Monday, then another 1oz on Thursday.  Take them out 7-10 days later respectively.  Does it make a difference?  Honestly, maybe.

Keep it simple and add them to secondary in a mesh bag.  If you keg, you could just dry hop in the keg.

by the way, brewing and skiing are my two loves  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:53:12 am by ryang »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:52:46 am »
I recommend using a cheese cloth grain bag.  I dry hopped a pilsner last fall using the "just throw the pellets in" method and every beer out of the keg has little pieces of hop floating in it.  It's kind of annoying.

You will want to weight the bag down with a stainless steel washer or something keep the hops from just floating on the surface too.

The grain bags are cheap and readily available at your LHBS.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:17 am »
I use a muslin bag for dry hops.  IMO, there's no need at all to add weights.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:00:33 am »

+1

I also use a muslin bag for whole or pellet and just drop them in and go. They will start sinking to the bottom within a couple of days.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
I dry hop loose.  When I rack to the bottling bucket, I first line it with one of those nylon paint strainer bags.  Rack as normal and, when done, very gently remove the bag from the bucket.  Catches most all the hop bits that way.
Joe

Offline brewandski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:55 am »
If I used a bag of some type, could I just dunk it in a Star San solution and sanitize it that way?  Would that let too much Star San soak in?

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:39:06 am »
If I used a bag of some type, could I just dunk it in a Star San solution and sanitize it that way?  Would that let too much Star San soak in?
that's what I do.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:12 pm »

+1

I also use a muslin bag for whole or pellet and just drop them in and go. They will start sinking to the bottom within a couple of days.

Thank you very much! I don't dry hop often but my experiences in the keg have been misleading. Now I will do so with more confidence.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »

That would be fine.  I put mine in a bowl of water in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell