Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Haze issues with a bag of Maris Otter malt  (Read 16070 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Haze issues with a bag of Maris Otter malt
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:22:49 am »
An intensive protein rest at 48 C for 30 min and another one at 52 C for 15 min didn't help either. The beer is pretty much as cloudy as the previous one. The same goes for the two wort samples that I have in the fridge. Neither of them wants to settle clear.

Here is a pic of the beer brewed with the protein rest under the microscope:

You can see the yeast cells. There are about 0.6 Million/ml left in suspension. But the haze comes from all the much smaller particles. Those particles are smaller than 1 um (the grid lines are 50 um apart) and can't be filtered out with a simple spun filter.

Kai

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 03:23:13 pm »
If it helps any, the beer I have on tap now was made with Crisp Maris Otter and is hazy, as well.

Do you suppose it was something about this year’s crop?  ???
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 12:53:15 pm »
This is my usual base malt for British and American ales.  I've made both hazy and clear beers with it.  I had a good run of Amber and Brown Ales that came out crystal clear from my last sack, before it ran out.  It looks like I bought it at the end of 2009.

I'm an all Pilsner and Munich Malt brewery this Winter, though.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »
Posted on: December 31, 2010, 03:23:13 PMPosted by: brushvalleybrewer 
Insert Quote
If it helps any, the beer I have on tap now was made with Crisp Maris Otter and is hazy, as well.

I just kegged a 100% Crisp Maris Otter beer that is clear as a bell

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:37:50 am »
You know, I brewed an Old Ale - NB's Winter Warmer kit - with MO.  It is hazy as hell.  I've been trying to figure out what I did.  Wonder if that's what it was   ???

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:55 am »
You know, I brewed an Old Ale - NB's Winter Warmer kit - with MO.  It is hazy as hell.  I've been trying to figure out what I did.  Wonder if that's what it was   ???

It's quite possible that we have the same problem. From the looks of it haze with MO is hit or miss. Jamil mentions MO quite a bit but never complained about it being excessively hazy.

The haze does respond reasonably well to fining with gelatin. I'd give that a try.

Kai

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:48 am »
I'll keep that in mind for the next batch.  I tend to use MO as my base in British styles a lot and have not had that problem before.  Should it happen again, I'll whack it with some gelatin.  I'm usually not too terribly concerned with the cosmetics - just as long as it tastes good, but I am a perfectionist ;)

Offline nichenke

• 1st Kit
    • Unholymess
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »
Kai - are you adding whirfloc/irish moss to the boil at all ? Your initial comments seem to indicate "no", and if so I'd be curious on why not.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 03:20:17 pm »
I use Irish moss in my british bitters done with MO and still have some haze, but I'm not really trying to clear it and I get it on tap fast.  It does clear with time in the keg at cold temps, those last few pints are pretty clear.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:36 pm »
Just brewed an all Crisp MO IPA over the weekend - the boil looked like egg-drop soup, something I've not seen since last brewing with a larger % of Vienna malts.  It got me about the possible excessive protein that's been suggested.  I also used a medium flocculating yeast, so might be hard to ultimately tell what the culprit was if it turns out cloudy.

At any rate, kegged in the fridge, my guess is it will be clear as a bell in 1.5-2 wks.  Will see if I'm right...

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:02 pm »
Kai - are you adding whirfloc/irish moss to the boil at all ? Your initial comments seem to indicate "no", and if so I'd be curious on why not.

I have stopped using it a while back and didn't see a change in my beers. When I brew with this malt again I'll have to give it a try.

Kai

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:42 am »
So to resurrect an old thread, I brewed up a bitter yesterday using Crisp Maris Otter. I had lots of dough balls at dough-in, followed by significant protein coagulation by the end of the mash. Runoff was very cloudy, even after roughly double my normal vorlauf. I also noticed a much larger volume of break at the end of the boil. I used Whirlfloc in the boil as I always do. Normally when I brew a 6 gal batch, I get 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermentor, leaving most of the break material behind. This time I barely made 5 gal. And, of course, the wort was cloudy going into the fermentor. I'll report back after fermentation is complete, but I'll be going out to pick up some gelatin in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:28:31 am by Mark G »
Mark Gres

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
I am waiting for your results.

With our club’s recent bulk buy I bought a bag of Bairds Pale malt. The malt analysis sheet lists the barley cultivar as Maris Otter. I picked this malt b/c it had the lowest average protein content compared to the other pale malts. Protein is 9.8 % (10 – 12% is typical for other malts) and SNR is 45% (data sheet).. My hope is that with these numbers I will have no haze issues.
The first batch, an IPA, is fermenting right now.

On the other hand, the batch of Fawcett&Son MO, the same type of malt that gave me problems before, that was bought at that bulk buy has 9.6% protein and 41% SNR (data sheet). My batch had 36% SNR and I don’t remember the protein content. Based on this the current F&S MO batch may not show this problem.

I’ll have to check who in our club bought this malt.

Kai

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:12 pm »
The haze does respond reasonably well to fining with gelatin. I'd give that a try.

Kai

By the way, Kai, I just tried the gelatin in a pair of finished, carbonated beers, a porter and schwarzbier, identical malt builds, with Crisp Mo as the base, brewed with soft, calcium deficient water, single infusion, unknown ph, except that 5.2 was used, and both had haze.  After just a few days, they were clear, and the flavor improved as well.  Thanks!  Super, easy remedy.
Kirk Howell

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »
My bag is evidently one of these cloudy ones too (Crisp MO - meant to check the lot no).  Was reserving judgement as the first beer I made was fermented with US-05 which is not a good flocculator, but my current Old Ale fermented with 1318 (highly flocculant) is still very cloudy after 5 weeks in primary.

Gelatin worked a charm for me for the US-05 - now a very bright, brilliant beer.  Appears I'll be doing the same for the Old Ale as well.