Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SAFALE-05 Opinions  (Read 12727 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: SAFALE-05 Opinions
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:10:32 am »
I'm thinking between 68 - 70.  Is this too high?

When you say you "are thinking" between 68-70 that makes me believe that you don't really give much thought at all to fermentation temps. You should know within a couple of degrees what your fermentation temp is. Fermentation temp is crucial. As is pitching temp. If you pitch too warm you can have off flavors as well.

As far as US-05 goes, it is one of the cleanest and easiest to use ale yeast out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 06:56:28 am »
As far as US-05 goes, it is one of the cleanest and easiest to use ale yeast out there.

+1

I use S05 for my ales from time to time and have had pretty clean and relatively dry beers with it. Controlling your ferm temps is key to making great beer. Pitching in the upper 50's to low 60's in most cases and allowing the beer to warm up into the mid sixties to finish is an ideal scenario. I would invest in a good thermometer if you haven't already and monitor your pitching and fermentation temps.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 07:16:14 am »
Another vote for fermentation temp being the potential problem... I use US-05 in a lot of my beers and it always gives a clean result. I typically pitch around 64F with this yeast and hold the temp there for the first 48-72 hours. After that I'll bump it up 2-3 degrees. What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast?
Mark Gres

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 07:35:41 am »

+1

I use S05 for my ales from time to time and have had pretty clean and relatively dry beers with it. Controlling your ferm temps is key to making great beer. Pitching in the upper 50's to low 60's in most cases and allowing the beer to warm up into the mid sixties to finish is an ideal scenario. I would invest in a good thermometer if you haven't already and monitor your pitching and fermentation temps.

Good Luck!
+1
S05 is one of my standard yeasts, when I don't need a special yeast character.
Fermentation is when you make the beer, if you blow everything up to the fermentation and ferment well, you will make good beer, maybe not the beer you intended, but good beer nonetheless.
Keep your fermentations "cool" and pitch under (or at) your fermentation temp.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 09:30:12 am »
This is my standard 'go to' yeast for ales. I ferment at about 60-65 and it usually tastes great.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:28 am »
giga... my beer fermented in a plastic bucket in my bedroom which is typically around 68 degrees.  There was no light other than from my bedroom light.  i must've done something to make it taste horrible. 

If your room was at 68, the beer could have been up to 10F higher due to the heat created during fermentation.  That's definitely too high and will produce flavors like you've described.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell