Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

corn sugar v. force carb

corn sugar
2 (14.3%)
co2
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: corn sugar v. force carb  (Read 3778 times)

Offline hiphophead

• Cellarman
corn sugar v. force carb
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
im ready to keg a batch of irish red and ive got no room in my kegerator to chill it like i normally do to force carb.  should i just go with corn sugar at room temp or still force carb at room temp even though it takes more psi.  how much corn sugar if i do it that way?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: corn sugar v. force carb
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:26:12 am »
I never do anything but force carb at room temp.  I'm happy with the results and can't really think of any reason not to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:32 am »
I vote for corn sugar. Use 3-4oz per 5 gallons at 70F.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
I vote for corn sugar. Use 3-4oz per 5 gallons at 70F.

Out of curiosity, why would you prefer that to force carbing at room temp?  Not suggesting one is better or worse than the other, just wondering what your thinking is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:32:31 am »
I'd force carb it, unless you really like dispensing trub.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
Force carb gets my vote.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:35:54 am »
Force carbing is my choice because I can precisely control the carbonation to my liking.
Ron Price

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:38:57 am »
If you do decide to prime, be sure to seat the seals in the keg with 10-20 psi after you close it up.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:40:58 am »
My kegging rig is pretty basic. For the last three years I haven't bothered to run lines and keep everything hooked up all the time. Used to force carb by connecting & pressuring up the kegs every day until desired volumes were reached or by shaking. Priming puts me right there volume-wise and it keeps my hands off the brew for at least a week or two. All with zero effort.

I realize it isn't popular with the kegging crowd but makes perfect sense to me.  ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:43 am »

You're blowing this ^^^ aspect way out of proportion. I don't see any more sediment than from any other approaches. With a floccing yeast it's clear after a couple pints.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:47:40 am »
Actually it's super duper really freakin clear...and then the keg blows  :'(
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:55:36 am »
Actually it's super duper really freakin clear...and then the keg blows  :'(

Ain't that the truth. I poured a pint of my Ofest last weekend that was amazingly crystal clear and went to get a second glass only to blow the keg.

It was a sad day.  :'(

It was the best Ofest I have ever made. I will make this recipe again.
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:32 am »
I realize it isn't popular with the kegging crowd but makes perfect sense to me.  ::)

I'm with you. I also prefer natural carbonation over having to force carb the beer. The main argument is that I don't need to have the keg hooked up to the regulator. At this point I only have one for the keg-o-rator.

From time to time the natural carbonation doesn't work out as intended and I'll have to force carb a beer.

Kai

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

You're blowing this ^^^ aspect way out of proportion. I don't see any more sediment than from any other approaches. With a floccing yeast it's clear after a couple pints.

I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. If you have CO2 available, why not use it? Carbonation is carbonation.

If you can naturally carb a beer without adding any additional trub, please explain how you do that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:20:34 am by Mikey »

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:28:42 am »
If you can naturally carb a beer without adding any additional trub, please explain how you do that.

carbing with corn sugar will not add more yeast than there is already in the beer since the yeast will not grow. But you'll need to have some yeast in the beer to begin with. Something that you don't need for force carbonation.

Kai