Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

corn sugar v. force carb

corn sugar
2 (14.3%)
co2
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: corn sugar v. force carb  (Read 3787 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: corn sugar v. force carb
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
You're being disingenuous. I'll stand on my previous statements and not be drawn into a pointless argument with you Mikey.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
If you can naturally carb a beer without adding any additional trub, please explain how you do that.

carbing with corn sugar will not add more yeast than there is already in the beer since the yeast will not grow. But you'll need to have some yeast in the beer to begin with. Something that you don't need for force carbonation.

Kai

So, you're saying that corn sugar will not a one bit of additional trub? Sorry, I can't accept that.

Euge, please quit trying to turn this into something it isn't. Am I not entitled to my opinion here or is that reserved for only senior brewmasters?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 11:38:12 am »
You're being disingenuous. I'll stand on my previous statements and not be drawn into a pointless argument with you Mikey.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:45:55 am »
So, you're saying that corn sugar will not a one bit of additional trub? Sorry, I can't accept that.

The only trub that it would create is additional yeast. But yeast growth has already stopped in the early stages of primary fermentation due to limitation of nitrogen and oxygen. Adding more sugar won't make the yeast grow more unless you are adding more nitrogen as well. I believe that in a well aerated batch of beer with a good pitch of yeast nitrogen limits growth. And if oxygen was the growth limiter you are not giving it to the yeast either. If you do you might be glad that you have active yeast since it scavenges the oxygen.

I'd love a discussion on this subject since it does interest me a lot.

Another aspect of adding corn sugar for carbonation is that it does change the recipe slightly. The addition rates of corn sugar commonly used for carbonation raise the OG by about 3 points or 0.75 Plato. If you still want to carbonate naturally but avoid this you'll have to use Speise, Kraeusen or residual extract. But then you'll also increase the trub amount. I don't care about the latter since I'll do the carbonation in a bright tank. But this is OT since the question was dextrose vs. force carbing.

Kai
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:51:38 am by Kaiser »

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
The next time I'm on the mood to bottle, which is rare, I'll have to run a little experiment on this.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 12:27:37 pm »
I've only ever force carbed one beer.  It worked fine but it isn't necessary in my brewery.

I have a 4 tap system and 14 kegs.  I have enough beer available to let the yeast do the work of carbonation.  As for additional trub?  It's never been an issue.  Once in the keg, the only trub I get is what settles out of the beer during storage.  Normally I pull 1/2 a glass off a new keg and toss it.  Everything is clear after that unless I have to move the keg.  With good measurements and math I can control the level of carbonation in my beers without much issue.

In addition to letting the yeast do the work it saves me trips to the CO2 shop.  My supplier is on the other side of town, only fill beverage kegs when they have "enough" and is kind of a hassle. 

To each their own and then some.  It's all good.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 12:52:46 pm »
I force carb but don't leave it on gas while I'm dispensing.  I usually have to bleed a little pressure off to keep it from foaming badly, and I might have to put a little more gas on the keg before its done.  I only make 3gal batches so kegs go reasonably quickly.

My friend carbs his kegs with sugar.  Works fine when its new, not sure if it lasts through the whole keg though.  He doesn't dispense with gas either.  The only potential negative I see is the extra two weeks at a warm temp.  If you have the beer then that is a moot point.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO