Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: carbonating a keg with priming sugar.  (Read 2710 times)

Offline will

• 1st Kit
carbonating a keg with priming sugar.
« on: December 24, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »
I'm sure that this has been brought up before. How much sugar does it take, and how long? Want to naturally carbonate my trippel.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: carbonating a keg with priming sugar.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 10:53:35 pm »
Sure. You want something around 2.3 volumes? About 4 ounces of table sugar. I'd give it 2+ weeks at around 70F then chill when ready for at least 24 hours. You'll still need something to push the beer out with. This just carbs the beer.

Have fun.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:58:15 am »
And the next question is, is the result any different than if you were to just hook it up and carbonate it? The only thing I can think of is that some of the yeast in suspension would drop out and the beer would be (a little) clearer?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:48:55 am »
And the next question is, is the result any different than if you were to just hook it up and carbonate it? The only thing I can think of is that some of the yeast in suspension would drop out and the beer would be (a little) clearer?

That does happen, but it is affected by a variety of factors, such as type of yeast used. And it's a tiny amount. My experience is that primarily it doesn't affect clarity in my brewery. If a brewer is brewing lagers, filtering, fining or clearing their ales intentionally before carbonation this technique wouldn't make sense. It's not appropriate for everyone, but a tool to be used.

Tell me though, are you seeing any sludge in the bottom of your kegs when you open them after the last beer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 11:00:12 am »
Haven't noticed, didn't look very hard though..... Don't get any in the beer either.....just a slight haziness which I don't mind. It's all nutrition..... ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
Haven't noticed, didn't look very hard though..... Don't get any in the beer either.....just a slight haziness which I don't mind. It's all nutrition..... ;D

Haha! Agreed!   :D

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:08:54 pm »

Once you can get a keg to last more than a week or two, you'll likely see that haze go away. Time and temp are your friends in this case.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

Once you can get a keg to last more than a week or two, you'll likely see that haze go away. Time and temp are your friends in this case.

Yes, actually four or five days makes a difference. I'm trying to get to the point where I can keg and then carbonate and let it sit for another week.....Not easy during the holidays. Like I said, the stuff is popular.