Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Star San  (Read 8544 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Star San
« on: December 24, 2010, 10:40:59 am »
I bought some 5 Star - Star San on line and it arrived in a jug inside a sealed plastic bag.  For some reason, most of the direction were smudged off on to the plastic bag. 
So, can some one please give me the direction for mixing this to sterilize equipment.  I need to do a carboy and siphon hose etc today and then bottles in a few weeks.
Thanks.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Star San
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56:10 am »
1 oz per 5 gallons of warm water. Or scale down at your convenience.
Brew on

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:31:53 am »
1 oz per 5 gallons of warm water. Or scale down at your convenience.

I have to admit I've never used it with anything but cold water.  So I take it warm is OK?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:08 am »
Best to use distilled or RO water. It'll keep for months or until it grows cloudy. Reusable as well. Supposed to be a minimum of one minute contact time. I've done less with no problems.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
Thanks for the reply.
I'm afraid all I've got for water is plain old tap water.  But, we do have both warm and cold...
I'll scale it back to 2 1/2 gallons (10 L?) and add 1/2 an ounce by the measuring thingee on the bottle.  Only have a small pail to mix it in so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
I wouldn't use hot water but warm should be okay.  I've read that 30 seconds contact time is enough.  That's always worked for me but of course YMMV.

The bottle I bought is looking like it will last the rest of my life.  I mixed up my first batch in a bucket with a lid using distilled water.  After close to a year I tossed it out only because I couldn't convince myself it was still good.  It had odds and ends sitting on the bottom of the bucket but the water was still crystal clear.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »
And I don't need to rinse it right?  I've had OK results with bleach but I rinse the heck out of stuff.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:16:04 pm »
No rinsing.  ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:43 pm »
Best to use distilled or RO water. It'll keep for months or until it grows cloudy. Reusable as well. Supposed to be a minimum of one minute contact time. I've done less with no problems.

big +1
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:18:06 pm »
Feels weird to not rinse it.  ???

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »
It'll be fine. There's a saying about Starsan: Don't fear the foam!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »
OK.  No sense asking if I don't listen to the answers I'm given. 
Thanks again for all the help.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »
I wouldn't use hot water but warm should be okay.  I've read that 30 seconds contact time is enough.  That's always worked for me but of course YMMV.

The bottle I bought is looking like it will last the rest of my life.  I mixed up my first batch in a bucket with a lid using distilled water.  After close to a year I tossed it out only because I couldn't convince myself it was still good.  It had odds and ends sitting on the bottom of the bucket but the water was still crystal clear.

Paul

If I use tap water, it turns cloudy within minutes, which I'm told is not so good.  I have some distilled water which I use in the spray bottle, but my usual use of it in tap water is only for what I happen to be doing on that particular weekend.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 01:41:44 pm »
FL water is high in carbonates (high alkalinity)--that's why your starsan solution goes cloudy so soon.
Use distilled water with your starsan.  I get 5 gallons for $1.50 at the local Publix (just take a better bottle or old plastic water jug and fill it up).  I store it in a 5 gallon Homer bucket.   Keeps a long time (crystal clear).

I still recommend a second agent during the earlier stages of the cleaning / sanitizing process to kill off any bacteria or wild yeast that are acid-tolerant.  There's a thread earlier about that.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »
I use soft water for starsan. It works great & lasts a long time. Our hard water is high alkaline. CaCO3 = 236 and PH is 7.6.  I need to have Ward Labs test our soft water.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!