Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewstand  (Read 4044 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Brewstand
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:37 am »
Fairly new to home brewing but now that I've got a few extract brews under my belt I was going to try my hand at a partial mash recipe.  I was contemplating building a VERY basic 2 or 3 tier brew stand and was curious if anyone had some general recs or blueprints.  Or even just things I should consider prior to just jumping in and building something.  It will need to be mostly wood as I don't know how to weld.  Also cost will need to be controlled.  I have looked around at other threads and while the majority of the brew stands posted are impressive they are a bit more advanced than what I was looking for.  Thanks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewstand
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:15:56 am »
FWIW, I use an old metal picnic table for my "Brewstand".  Check out www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:38:45 am »
I used the washing machine then transitioned to the dryer. Now I use 4 kegs to support my mash tun. I guess it's a 2-tier system. And I didn't get a pump until a few months ago. It was all gravity driven and bucket oriented.

Anything to get the tun above the bucket/vessel it's draining into. A kitchen counter for example. Otherwise some wood 2-by's to your own specs. Here's a pic from John Palmer's How To Brew that shows how simple it could be:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:49 pm »
Somebody had posted a pic of their all wood tiered stand a while ago.  Looking through quickly I couldn't find the thread but you might be able to search for it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »
Back a few issues in Zymurgy showed a brewstand built using metal shelving and bolts. Maybe someone can post the artical for you. Good luck
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »
Here's a fairly simple design. Use perforated steel tubing and bolt it together.

Here's a link for the steel tubing.

http://www.onlinemetalstore.com/items/Steel_Tube_Pipe.cfm
Ron Price

Offline given2fly

• 1st Kit
    • Given2flybrewing
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:31:30 am »
I built my brewstand out of wood and have turkey fryers built into it. Here are some of pics from my website:

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:52 am »
FWIW, I use an old metal picnic table for my "Brewstand".  Check out www.dennybrew.com

I use a 1/2 size plastic banquet table from Costco.  My Boil kettle sits on the floor until I move it outside to the burner.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »
I went from this

to this

While you absolutely can brew just as good of beer with precariously placed patio furniture supporting things that spew fire, for me, brewing became much easier and more fun when I took the plunge and had this thing welded up.  It folds up and fits in the corner of my garage (22"x22").  Now, I just roll it out, unfold, and go.  Setup is no longer a chore.

I'd suggest getting a few AG brews under your belt and experimenting with your setup before deciding what kind of system you want.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:50:30 pm by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »
I'd suggest getting a few AG brews under your belt and experimenting with your setup before deciding what kind of system you want.  

Really good advice.  Establish a flow, then build equipment that fits it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »
Appreciate all the suggestions.  Any thoughts on planning for a setup with a mash tun for single step infusion mashing (the cooler type) vs a multi step infusion mashing vessel (with a burner)? I haven't tried either and definitely appreciate the advice about getting a few all grain batches down prior to building anything.  Thought I'd take a consensus though- are there particular advantages or drawbacks to either setup? 

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »
I'm following Denny's KISS lead and starting with a cooler and batch sparging. If I ever think that my life is not complete if I can not up my efficiency from 75 to 77.4 I can always add another pot and burner later. (Metaphorical numbers.)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:32:29 am »
Any thoughts on planning for a setup with a mash tun for single step infusion mashing (the cooler type) vs a multi step infusion mashing vessel (with a burner)? I haven't tried either and definitely appreciate the advice about getting a few all grain batches down prior to building anything.  Thought I'd take a consensus though- are there particular advantages or drawbacks to either setup?  

The cooler will hold temperatures really well and is cheap to construct.  You can do infusion step mashes or HERMs temp control using a cooler as well.  If you undershoot your dough in temp, just ad boiling water and stir.  The opening on a rectangular cooler being larger makes it a lot easier to dump in your grain as well.  

I have a lot of equipment envy, but have never had any inclination to move to a fired steel mash tun over my 70 qt cooler.  I can see the benefit of adding a little fire to maintain temps or step mash, but most of what I do is single infusion and the cooler has not let me down.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:38:28 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:33:15 am »
Definitely start with the cooler/braid (al la Denny) setup.  Once you've got a few brew sessions under your belt, you could then decide whether you want to go direct fired.  Odds are you'll decide to stick with the cooler.
Joe