Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Butterscotch Beer  (Read 6562 times)

Offline brewingbuddies

• 1st Kit
Butterscotch Beer
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:18:58 am »
I know everyone talks about "butterscotch" flavor being bad and it pertaining to diacteyl, but is there a recipe out there for an intentional butterscotch flavor in your beer. I was looking for something along the lines of an american amber ale with hints of butterscotch, 2-3finger head and deep orange gold color (see SA Gold for Color)

Offline bono_loves_beer

• 1st Kit
  • This beer is mine, make your own.
    • Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club
Re: Butterscotch Beer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:44 am »
I'm actually experimenting with a butterscotch ester in a beer right now (it'll be ready in two weeks). I started with a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout recipe. I then went to Sugarcraft.com and got a 4oz bottle of butterscotch ester. I'll be adding it in a ratio of 2oz to 5gal, and 4oz to 5gal - I'm splitting up a batch into a few different beers, so I'm only making about 12 bottles of Choco-Butterscotch Delight (6 at each concentration) in order to minimize damage if it turns out horribly (I'll still drink it, but I won't like it).

I'll let you know how it turns out, but I know it's different than what you're looking for presentation-wise. Sounds like you'll have to create your own recipe for that one, but I would err on the side of wheats or heffewizens if you were going to do so. The amber ale might clash a bit with a butterscotch flavor. But what the hell do I know, I'm just winging my own recipe. My advice is really just to experiment with smaller batches until you find a combination you like, then scale it up!
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Decadence (Oatmeal Chocolate Stout), Repentance (Chocolate Raspberry Stout), Candyshop (Chocolate Butterscotch Stout)
Bottles: Empty

If you want to brew with me in the Middlesex Valley, pm me!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Butterscotch Beer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:29 am »
Something similar was discussed in an earlier thread...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4762.0
Joe