Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pineau / Pommeau  (Read 2041 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Pineau / Pommeau
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:19:34 pm »
This isn't strictly a fermentable, but...

Anyone ever tried making pineau de Charentes, or pommeau?

Pineau is unfermented wine must blended with unaged brandy, then aged in wood and bottled around 20% ABV.  Pommeau is the Norman equivalent that uses unfermented cider and apple brandy.

I made two bottles of the latter years ago by obtaining a good bottle of apple brandy (not calvados, though...the Lairds bonded stuff, full apple brandy, not the blended applejack) and mixing it 50/50 with Martinellis apple cider.  Recapped, and it makes a nice sweet drink, like a liqueur.

Yesterday I did the same with a bottle of unfermented chablis juice, and a bottle of inexpensive American brandy, for a cheap approximation of pineau.

Very interesting I'd say!  It would go well with certain foods I'm sure...cheese, certainly, with the sweet/acidic element.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Re: Pineau / Pommeau
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:32:51 am »
I've had the pleasure of drinking Pommeau. It was quite delicious! It might be interesting to "fortify" a cyser with some. Keep us updated on any experiferments.  8)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »
I've had Pineau - similar to sherry, but without the oxidised taste IYSWIM.

Let us know how the experiments come out.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:16:58 am »
Both experiments are nice.  I'd like to retry the pommeau one with calvados, actually, which I think would be a bit more delicate than the oaky, American apply brandy.  Obviously the pineau was done with subpar brandy (Korbel) but the brandy they use for this isn't even aged, so I figure it wouldn't be too terribly off the mark, and who wants to blend a $40 bottle of cognac?

I'd like to have a bottle of each on hand, long term...seems like a great thing to pull out for guests after dinner.  Pommeau with apple pie might be excessively rich, but I imagine it would be great, anyway!