Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot Wings?  (Read 10749 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Hot Wings?
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:57:56 am »
I know we had a discussion going about hot wings a little while back, but now I can't find the recipes!

Someone here had a deep-fry method they recommended that involved lightly coating in corn starch and deep frying, but that's all I remember. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I usually bake wings, but I wanted to try it this way for once.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Hot Wings?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »
Mix an 1/8 to a 1/4cup of cornstarch to 1C flour, dredge and fry.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:22:46 pm »
I do them with just corn starch. Dry the wings really well if you can and then put them in a brown paper grocery bag. Salt them and place in a good amount of corn starch. Shake it vigorously. Then fry them immediately. 

For god sake man, dont do them in the oven.

My sauce is made with a mixture of melted butter, Tabasco sauce and maybe some chili garlic sauce.

How bout some curry wings? or black bean sauce. seet and sour wings with pineapple. Oh the possibilities are endless.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »
Never tried the corn starch, butI will. I found the trick to frying them is to drop them for about 3-4 mins, take them out and let them rest for 4 min, and then back in again for another 3-4.
  For wing sauce, I mix up equal portions of Frank's wing sauce, and melted butter. Since I've been doing mywings this way, I've rally never had a desire to eat wings out, again.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »
Couldn't bring myself to do it. I just put them in the fridge to marinate.

I don't know what it is, I just can't wrap my mind around not marinating wings.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 03:13:54 pm »
For god sake man, dont do them in the oven.

Alton Brown's oven method makes a wing that compares favorably with fried wings, IMO. It's not a low fat things, wings are mostly fat no matter how you cook them, I actually think it is a better method.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:18:32 pm »
Im a big fan of Alton brown but this is one area where I disagree. I tried his method it was OK, Just not the same. I like my wings super crispy with lots of reverse osmosis so they stay crisp in the sauce.

Fried wings with hot sauce = Buffalo Wings.

Oven baked wings marinated in hot sauce = Jersey Turnpike Wings.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 03:46:55 pm »
One place I worked for out in Vegas baked the wings as a prep then fried them to order. They were probably the best I've ever had.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:42 pm »
Butter, franks red hot sauce, Tabasco, cayenne (or other flaming hot red pepper)

Pretty much in that order, stick of butter, half tsp of cayenne - something in between of the other two.
Deep fried is the only way - if you're health conscious eat the celery...

Edit: as soon as I submitted this I started wondering about on the smoker.....
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »
Im a big fan of Alton brown but this is one area where I disagree. I tried his method it was OK, Just not the same. I like my wings super crispy with lots of reverse osmosis so they stay crisp in the sauce.

It's really funny, but I associate deep fried + covered in hot sauce with either chinese take-out or god-awful chain restaurant wings. Baking is the closest I can get them to Bateman's wings, which will always be my ultimate hot wing.

Interesting to note: Almost all the wings you can get around here are the deep-fried & smothered variety.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »
My favorite is Don Marco's Wing Thing method:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63105

Basically a peach-habanero-bourbon marinade and glaze, with hot smoked wings.  Sweet and fiery.  Personally I've grown to despise the flavor of the vinegar hot sauces (such as those involved with traditional hot wings) so this is a perfect alternative for me.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »
Edit: as soon as I submitted this I started wondering about on the smoker.....

Now that is a novel idea.  :-\ :-X ;D ;) 8)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:03 am »
My favorite is Don Marco's Wing Thing method:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63105

Basically a peach-habanero-bourbon marinade and glaze, with hot smoked wings.  Sweet and fiery.  Personally I've grown to despise the flavor of the vinegar hot sauces (such as those involved with traditional hot wings) so this is a perfect alternative for me.

That's close to what I do these days. It's really difficult to find Frank's (which is the only wing sauce I ever want to use) and it's super expensive when you do find it (€4.39 for a 12 oz bottle) so this is my go-to recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/08/grilling-honey-chiptole-wings-recipe.html

They are ALWAYS a crowd pleaser!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:52:13 am »
The serious eats article is very interesting. I wonder instead of the oven the BGE at the same temp with the plate-setter. Mmmm.

Too bad the French haven't discovered the joy of hot-sauce. Frank's and Crystal hot sauce are ubiquitous but there's still at least another 10 to choose from at the local. Looking on Amazon the prices are shocking!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 12:51:47 pm »

Exactly.

I grew up in Buffalo. Wings are deep fried.

Another good alternative for the summer is grilled wings. Get them good and cooked, then dump in to a tub of melted butter and hot sauce. Shake to coat, then eat.