Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot Wings?  (Read 10824 times)

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
Re: Hot Wings?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »
I marinate my wings for 24 hours, then smoke them for about 5 hours.  Then deep fry them and finally coat them in a home made sauce.  Trouble is everyone loves them so much that they always expect them.  Good thing I love them too and they go great with an IPA.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »
Well, I marinated overnight and then deep fried them. The sauce I made was OK - I would have liked it hotter, but the flavor was pretty damn good. I lightly dusted them in corn starch before frying, and I have to say they were much better than I expected. Not the apathy-inducing Chinese Take-Out style breading that's ubiquitous here, but a crisper, less bready homestyle browning that went well with the overall idea of the dish.

However, I have to say that in all honesty I didn't find it to be all that much better than oven-baked, if at all. Granted, this is a comparison of my method of deep-frying to my method of baking, and it wasn't a blind side-by side comparison or anything else remotely approaching scientific. But at the same time, it wasn't an absolute, jaw-dropping proof that deep fried is inherently better than oven baked. On the other hand, the process did feel more "right" and it wasn't a whole lot of additional work.

I'll have to try it again sometime as a side-by side.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 06:42:41 pm »
Sometimes in the summer we set up the turkey fryer if there is a party. I dredge an ass load of wings in salt and corn starch then fry them in piles. They turn out easy and feed a lot of people.  If you have the oil temp right they come out perfectly crispy and not greasy at all.This is tru of almost all fried food. The right temp and there is loads of reverse osmosis and the food will not drink up the oil.

Last time we did it we made Buffalo wings, Buffalo Thighs, Buffalo drum sticks. Awesome!

Next time we set up the fryer Im gonna do whole Buffalo Cornish Game Hens.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »
Sometimes in the summer we set up the turkey fryer if there is a party. I dredge an ass load of wings in salt and corn starch then fry them in piles. They turn out easy and feed a lot of people.  If you have the oil temp right they come out perfectly crispy and not greasy at all.This is tru of almost all fried food. The right temp and there is loads of reverse osmosis and the food will not drink up the oil.

Last time we did it we made Buffalo wings, Buffalo Thighs, Buffalo drum sticks. Awesome!

Sounds great, thanks for the invite!
I always have trouble with oil temp when I'm deep frying. Mostly because I don't check the temperature. This time it was pretty close, though. I was actually thinking about getting one of those electric deep-fryers.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »

Make sure you spatchcock them first!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »
Maybe we will do wings at the moonshiners reunion?

You should have gotten a van instead of another jeep. That way we could all fit in your van, turkey fryer in tow. Show those southerners what Buffalo wings are.

Besides you should have a van anyway right? Arent you gonna be single soon? Get a bumper sticker,

"If this Vans a Rockin Dont Come a Knockin"   Ahhh to be single.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »
Maybe we will do wings at the moonshiners reunion?

You should have gotten a van instead of another jeep. That way we could all fit in your van, turkey fryer in tow. Show those southerners what Buffalo wings are.

Besides you should have a van anyway right? Arent you gonna be single soon? Get a bumper sticker,

"If this Vans a Rockin Dont Come a Knockin"   Ahhh to be single.

I actually bought the Jeep from a place in NY that sells mostly vans. If only I'd have thought ahead a little.

I still say the rented RV is the way to go.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »
The right temp and there is loads of reverse osmosis

There is no such thing as reverse osmosis, right?  It goes in whatever direction it goes!

I shouldn't think too much about physics after a half-bot of mead and a heavy steak dinner.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 07:27:02 pm »
Im not sure if reverse osmosis is the correct wording. But I no doubt misuse it as cooking nomenclature.

I mean like drops of oil in water dont emulsify. Or in the hot oil thetre is a point where the meat will not drink up the oil. There is a thin layer of "reverse osmosis". If the oil is to cool, the molecules are very close together and the meat or dough nut will drink the oil up like a sponge. To hot and it will burn. Just right and the food cooks without drinking up the oil.

What would that be called? Surface tension?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »
I think that's due to having the oil hot enough to cause whatever residual moisture is in the meat to flash to steam upon contact.  Too cold and it won't and it'll stick.   Too hot and it'll burn.  Jussst right and it kinda floats on that mini-cloud of steam between the meat and the oil.  Or something like that.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »
And cook it too long and it gets greasy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:44:59 am »
The serious eats article is very interesting. I wonder instead of the oven the BGE at the same temp with the plate-setter. Mmmm.

Too bad the French haven't discovered the joy of hot-sauce. Frank's and Crystal hot sauce are ubiquitous but there's still at least another 10 to choose from at the local. Looking on Amazon the prices are shocking!

They work WONDERFULLY well in the BGE with plate setter- that's the only way I've made them so far. You "bake" them over the plate setter and then crisp them up by putting them on the very edges of the grate where the plate setter has the big gaps.

Hot sauce can be found quite easily in Germany, and thanks to the EU can be shipped to France without much trouble and almost no additional cost. I have some really, really amazing Bhut Jolokia hot sauce and a ridiculously hot Chipotle sauce from "Pepper King" but the trouble is finding the "low brow" stuff like Frank's.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 05:38:46 am »
I think that's due to having the oil hot enough to cause whatever residual moisture is in the meat to flash to steam upon contact.  Too cold and it won't and it'll stick.   Too hot and it'll burn.  Jussst right and it kinda floats on that mini-cloud of steam between the meat and the oil.  Or something like that.

There was a myth busters where he thrust his wet fingers into molten lead and got that protective pocket of steam. Seems to work the same principal. I thought the deal was if the oil is hot enough to steam out the water out of the food, then the oil cannot find its way into the food. Once the temp is too low and the steam isn't happening, the oil can get into the food and you get greasy soggy crap.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 06:28:29 am »

What beerocd said^^^^^^^

And cook it too long and it gets greasy.

Cooking too long also causes the food to get greasy because all the moisture is gone and nothing left to produce steam to keep the oil out.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:29 am »
So what is everyones opinion on proper temp, oil and duration?