Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot Wings?  (Read 10832 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
Re: Hot Wings?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »
Try some cilantro and diced green onions into your favorite hot wing sauce. Very nice touch. I rarely make them any other way now.
Par-baked then fried is definitely the way to go...
I eat wings as a treat. Otherwise I would eat them at least weekly. Definitely having them this Saturday for the Steelers playoff game! When we Steelers fans call our buddies across the country the week before the game the question is always "what are you making for the game?"
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »
rbclay, try this for a sauce.

Melted butter, a few gratings of fresh ginger, a good portion of curry powder or garam masala. sweet soy sauce or just a little regular soy sauce. honey, black pepper, water to thin, corn starch and water to thicken.

Then just before tossing the wings add the chopped cilantro and scallions.

I call them curry wings.

They go absolutely fantastic with sweet potato fries.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 12:00:56 am »
Cooked up another batch yesterday. Cap, I tried your "use the point of the knife to seperate joints" method but had absolutely no patience for it. Cleaver came out.

Anyway, since it was Ravens vs. Steelers, I was morally obligated to make Old Bay wings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and metric buttloads of Old Bay. Tried to find Natty Boh, but there's apparently not a drop to be had in NJ.

Good, though. I'm sold on deep frying, and getting better at it.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »
I did hot wings over the weekend after reading this thread late last week.

I did three seasons; honeybbq for the kids, (just mixed generic sweet baby rays sauce and local honey), cajun mustard (from the hot sauce festival), and a garlic hot (pain is good bottle). 

I marinated them and put them on the grill over mesquite hearts for a few hours at 270-300ish.  awesome.  I will do them again and take pictures. 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2011, 05:35:46 am »
You want hot wings? Try putting some of this on them: http://www.pepper-king.com/Hot-Saucen-BBQ-Steak-Saucen/Chili-Extrakte/Pepper-King-11-Million-Chiliextrakt.html

11. Million. Scoville. I kinda want to try it, but I'm nervous, because the Bhut Jolokia is ~1m... but an order of magnitude greater than that? I wonder if it's a controlled substance.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 01:06:59 pm »
You want hot wings? Try putting some of this on them: http://www.pepper-king.com/Hot-Saucen-BBQ-Steak-Saucen/Chili-Extrakte/Pepper-King-11-Million-Chiliextrakt.html

11. Million. Scoville. I kinda want to try it, but I'm nervous, because the Bhut Jolokia is ~1m... but an order of magnitude greater than that? I wonder if it's a controlled substance.

Mmmm... Weapon-grade hot sauce. Sounds delish.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:29 am »
ok, looking through this thread made me want to make some, so I did for the Packers game.
holy crap they came out GREAT!!!  probably the best wings I've had.

dredged in corn starch and salt, fried until crispy (I started with partially frozen wings so it took about 12 min)

made some regular franks wing sauce with butter and redhot... deliciously simple!

cap, made some of your curry sauce too.  wow, very good, but very rich.  I could eat 2 buffalo wings to every 1 curry wing.  I didn't get the sauce quite thick enough either I don't think, but very very good nonetheless.

between 3 of us we hammered 3 lbs of wings.  some rye ipa and biere de garde homebrew was enjoyed with the finger-lickin goodness. 

all that AND the PACKERS WINNING THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP it was a great sunday afternoon!!!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:56 pm »
I'm making Old Bay wings for the superbowl. Ravens might not have made it, but Steelers are the next best thing.

Also: If you are a Steelers fan, start growing your Rothlis-beard now to show your support. Dye it black and yellow on game day. And tell your firiends about the Beastly Beard.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:08 am »
Im not sure if reverse osmosis is the correct wording. But I no doubt misuse it as cooking nomenclature.

I mean like drops of oil in water dont emulsify. Or in the hot oil thetre is a point where the meat will not drink up the oil. There is a thin layer of "reverse osmosis". If the oil is to cool, the molecules are very close together and the meat or dough nut will drink the oil up like a sponge. To hot and it will burn. Just right and the food cooks without drinking up the oil.

What would that be called? Surface tension?

Positive pressure from the steam coming from the food. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gotta make some wings soon.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 11:43:24 am »
I'm going to do up a batch for the game tonight.  Never made them from scratch before but this thread makes it easy.  :D

I've got them cut up and sitting in a paper towel lined tray in the fridge.  I'm going to go with corn starch with some paprika, salt, and pepper thrown in the mix, and deep-fried at 375 in peanut oil.

Sauce will be butter, frank's, and chili garlic sauce.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:46:01 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »
Sauce will be butter, frank's, and chili garlic sauce.

Gonna say it like the old lady?...  "I put that &%#$^#) on everything!"
Joe

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 12:36:21 am »
Totally used Alton Brown's Technique tonight.

Extended the oven time by 10 minutes to really get crisp and then tossed with a mostly traditionally half and half recipe of butter and Frank's (full traditional would have been margarine instead) and I added a healthy 5 second squeeze of Siracha before I whisked the sauce together and chunked in the wings.

Awesome!

But how is it we've talked this far about chicken wings and haven't touched on the whole Bleu Cheese vs. Ranch thing?

I grew up on the East Coast - Bleu all the way. When I moved out here to the West, they started handing me Ranch and I started batting it back.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 05:22:55 am »
Mine turned out great for my first attempt.  I would kick up the heat a little bit more next time.  I kept it low to be on the safe side this time around.  That's Bleu cheese there.  Only way to go.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
Nice looking wings. Will have to do some soon.

I love blue cheese and blue cheese dressing. Unfortunately, despite being tasty- Ranch dressing is ladled on just about everything you can pick up with your fingers. I've even known young ladies who won't touch pizza unless there's a bottle of Ranch close by.

We should start up a campaign for real wings... CAMRW
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 12:59:47 pm »
I've never had a special love for traditional wings.  So I may not be CAMRW material but I did do some good wings yesterday...basic deep fried wings, but instead of the butter/vinegar chili sauce mix I made up a sauce using hoisin, lots of sriracha, five spice powder, fresh ginger, microplaned orange zest, sugar, garlic...maybe that was it.  But I tossed the wings in that and they were quite tasty!  I ate more of them than I probably should have...