Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smacked Smack Pack  (Read 2019 times)

Offline 84brewer

• 1st Kit
Smacked Smack Pack
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:23:42 am »
Folks - got a beer kit for Christmas.  My wife removed the yeast smack pack when it arrived a couple of weeks ago and put it in the fridge.  I just got around to examining the goods and found that the yeast pack has already been activated.  I don't know if this happened when the kit arrived or during shipment.  I'd welcome any input on the advisability of using this yeast.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Smacked Smack Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:32 am »
The yeast is probably fine.  If you have some DME you should make up a starter to get the yeast going and get some growth.  But if you're working with just a kit you may not have extra extract lying around.  In that case I'd probably just use it as is and it should be fine, especially if it's been manufactured relatively recently. 

As a general practice it's a good idea to pick up some DME to have around and make starters with every batch when using liquid yeast. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:49:02 am »
Your yeast will be fine.  The suggestion to make a starter is right on the money.  See mrmalty.com for instructions.  If you don't feel like making starters, it might be a good idea to stick with dry yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 84brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:58 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I normally make a starter, so it sounds like brewing as usual.  I just hadn't bumped up against this problem before.