Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 Brewing Goals  (Read 11630 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
2011 Brewing Goals
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:00:35 pm »
I thought this would be a good topic as we approach the New Year.  Do you have any specific goals for 2011?

For myself, this year was I was kind of sporadic in what I brewed.  I jumped from one brew to another based on whim; trying out several new styles and techniques.  In the process I settled on a few beers that I really want to work on and attempt to perfect over the course of the next year. 

So for the next year I'll be concentrating on my BoPils, CAP, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, and ESB.  I'll brew other things of course (I'd probably get bored otherwise), but I'd like to brew each of those at least four times this year, which will account for about 75% of my brewing schedule.

In addition, over the course of the next few months I'm going be piecing together my kegging rig and hope to have that up and running by spring.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 2011 Brewing Goals
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:03:18 pm »
I'm scaling back to lot's of little batches and experimentation. And to keep better notes.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »
Brew more then just two beers over and over.
I mean it was interesting experience but it is getting old to drink the same beer :)
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:30:25 pm »
I will be making several belgian beers.  I also want to get an oxygenation setup.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:55:27 pm »
2010 was so good I'd be happy if I could do as well. (Honestly I hope to have less free time and more money.) Next year I'd like to send a few to the NHC.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:08 pm »
If I could keep doing what I'm doing production wise, 1 batch a month and style-wise: 1 yeast strain for 4 consecutive batches per vial, I'll be happy.
I always like to try styles I've failed at previously.  Last year: finally got that ESB right!  This year: Saison.
Also, I might try a brett beer, and I'd like to get a 40 in a comp.
While I'm at it, I'd like my club, The Greater Denver Yeast Infection to do more club activities.
OK, no more goals.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:58 pm »
Take my meadmaking pro here in Hawaii.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:17 am »
Get the AG going, and lower production cost, while at the same time continuing to read the great masters' works. Get good at Belgians/old ales, one lager for Mom, and start a bottle collection of beers that will age well......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:00 am »
I want to be the all-being brewmaster of time, space and dimension. Then, I want to go to Europe.

Hope to improve my brewing setup, technique and maybe win a medal or two.  2010 started out ok but family commitments got in the way and I haven't brewed in over 2 months.

Oh, and hope to brew a beer in Febraury to celebrate the Patriots 4th Superbowl Victory!!!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 07:23:03 am »
I'd like to search out more commercial examples of styles I'm not familiar with to give me ideas an what I want to brew.  I want to continue to tweak a couple recipes that show a lot of promise:  A fruit stout and a Gotlandsdricke.  I just discovered Brewing Network podcasts a couple months ago, so I have a lot of listening to do to catch up on the archives.  Over the last year I made several improvements in my process:  a small mash tun,  gear to make starters (including stir plate), and O2 injection system.  My next priority is going to be better temperature control of my fermentations.  I have an area which is very constant in temperature (58F right now), but I don't want to be limited in what I brew based on the season.  After that would be a kegging system.  About the last thing on my list would be going to AG.  It seems like people make a big deal out of AG vs. mini-mash, but it seems to me that other process improvements would probably  buy me more in terms of quality at this point.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:06 am »
  I just discovered Brewing Network podcasts a couple months ago, so I have a lot of listening to do to catch up on the archives. 
Welcome to the Army!!!

It seems like people make a big deal out of AG vs. mini-mash, but it seems to me that other process improvements would probably  buy me more in terms of quality at this point.

Definately All grain...wish I had done AG sooner than the several batches of extract I did before making the jump. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:32 am »
For 2011, I really want to explore German styles (especially lager styles) that I either haven't brewed before or haven't brewed very frequently (e.g., Dortmunder Export, German Pils, Schwarzbier, Alt, Weissbier, etc.).

I also want to try Hochurz and decoction mashes to begin evaluating them for myself.  I think I've done very well with single infusions, but I'm always looking to improve my process (if it can be improved, of which I'm not certain).
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:08 am »
2010 was to brew for my daughters wedding,  mission accomplished.

2011 is to brew for and enter more contests.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 08:07:09 am »
Improved fermentation temp control.  What I've got works very well but it requires a little too much manual intervention and it can only take care of one at a time.  Be nice to redesign it to handle two at a time with less work.

Oh, and I'm considering motorizing my mill.
Joe

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 08:09:03 am »
Either more 10 gallon batches... or stop giving so much beer away.
Mark Gres