Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 Brewing Goals  (Read 11633 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: 2011 Brewing Goals
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 08:10:28 am »
Get the well water analyzed so someone on here can tell me what I have and/or need.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 08:47:57 am »
Get my fundamentals down pat. Brew an Old Style clone and have an Opening Day party for the Cubs. Brew a Kolsch and mow the lawn more often. Brew something super dark and roasty and age it in a barrel. Plant and grow my own hops, and try to grow a bit of barley or wheat, just to see how it works. Also, I'd love to make it to the US for a little vacation, either for the "Dogfish Head Experience" or something out west.

Non-brewing goals include losing some weight (doesn't everybody have this one?), paying off the IRS from last year, and getting an SARL which would in turn make me the CEO of a multinational corporation (albeit one with only one employee ;-) ). Also I'd like to read more to the little guy - I wanna get through all of the Hobbit and LOTR before his second birthday.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:55:01 am »
More lagers and German styles like alts and Kolsch.  At least 2 different rauchbiers, maybe a smoked porter or 2.  Less emphasis on higher ABV, maybe some more milds. 
This year I will have more time and money so I plan on brewing more.  I may even enter a competition but that's never been important to me.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:59 am »
I plan on getting a select few recipes down.  I have 6 or 7 that I've brewed once or twice that I really like; so I'd like to concentrate on those, making small adjustments here and there.
I'd also like to get more in to water chemistry; maybe try building some water from RO.
Jesse

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:30 am »
   I just started brewing this summer, so this is my first entire year t look forward to in brewing. On my third batch of beer discovered Amarillo hops and haven't been able to move past it yet. The last three batches have been Amarillo based California Ale and Brown Ale and just can't seem to get enough, but time to move on. My wife is asking for a porter so will do one of those next (no Amarillo, centennial, or cascade hops). I have a friend who has a gluten intolerant father so we are planning to get together and brew a beer based on amaranth seeds and other good stuff.
  Also want to make a mash tun this week and start doing some 2.5 gallon all grain batches; starting with an old English ale with Maris Otter malt. Don't have the space for 5 gallon AG batches.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 09:24:19 am »
Great thread!

I like euge's goals: more small batches, more experimentation. Plus I want to pay more attention to the long view and plan my time and my brew sessions so I can brew a couple of batches that require long conditioning or other timing--for example, brew a 2011 Christmas barleywine by March (instead of thinking about it in October, when it's too late), and brew a crowd-friendly beer for our annual block party in July.  I also want to write more about homebrewing and possibly get a piece placed somewhere, and I'd like to connect more with other area homebrewers and also with people in my field of work who homebrew, possibly with an international "virtual brew session" for May's Big Brew. Plus I'd like to get to the AHA conference if at all possible.

I may add a hydrometer and a brew belt to my setup, but after four years of cross-country moves, job changes, and other challenges, plus an upgrade to my homebrewing equipment, I'd like to keep basically the same setup all year. I was able to do an AG small-batch two nights ago while housecleaning and making dinner, and it's good to know my setup well enough to be able to multitask.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 09:24:52 am »
Keep retaking the friggin' BJCP exam til I hit Master.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:42 am »
I too, just started brewing this summer, and in the few batches i've had I've learned a lot.  I've been reading over John Palmer's How To Brew and picked up on some things that I didn't realize when I first started out.  My main goals are just to continue brewing beers I like, and Beers I think others will enjoy.  So here are some of my 2011 homebrew resolutions:

1.) Improve cleaning/sanitization.  Although I've never encountered a problem, I think there are things I can improve to make it easier and more efficient.  

2.) Spend a few bucks to make some equipment improvements.  I really need a 5 gallon stock pot because I want to move up to partial mash recipes and maybe small all grain sometime.  I want to pick up an aquarium pump so i can thoroughly oxygenate my wort prior to pitching yeast.

3.) Move away from dried yeast sprinkled on top.  Again, never had an issue, but I would really like to try liquid yeast and practice with starters and use them if appropriate.  

4.) Just improve my overall brew process to get the most out of my beer.  This is already happeneing, especially with my last batch.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:31 am »
I'd like to get the points for BJCP Master (have the exam score) which will be very tight but if I grade some exams should be doable.
I have wanted a cold room for a while. I am not much of a DIYer and I need it to be in my basement which has ceilings low enough to eliminate commercial units. So I haven't gotten started despite wanting to for about a year.
I would like to win (with my wife who is my brewing partner) a medal in the NHC second round. I had two make mini-bos this year and think I can roughly triple the first round entries so I think there is a decent chance.
We got one BOS in 2010 which was our first year competing. I would like to keep that streak alive. Probably the least likely goal to be met.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:31 am »
I'd like to get the points for BJCP Master (have the exam score) which will be very tight but if I grade some exams should be doable.

You're a lucky man!  I've got the experience points, but I'm 2 points shy on the exam.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:51 am »
I have a friend who has a gluten intolerant father so we are planning to get together and brew a beer based on amaranth seeds and other good stuff.

Have you looked at this? Supposedly it greatly reduces gluten in beer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/salts-finings/beer-additives/clarity-ferm-5-mls.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:15 am »
I took the BJCP exam and got a recognized level (dissappointing, I was hoping for certified).  My weak area was in judging.  My goal this year is to judge some beer contests (which I have never done) to improve in this area.  Might even enter a beer or two as well, again something I have never done.

Brewing-wise, I'm going to do some lagers in my new fermentation chamber.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 10:22:30 am »
To get my efficiency up to 109%. ;)  Seriously, still after the elusive German beer taste (you know the one, no other lagers have it.)  Getting closer, but not quite there.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 10:29:04 am »
To get my efficiency up to 109%. ;)  Seriously, still after the elusive German beer taste (you know the one, no other lagers have it.)  Getting closer, but not quite there.

Just boil longer :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 10:34:32 am »
I have a friend who has a gluten intolerant father so we are planning to get together and brew a beer based on amaranth seeds and other good stuff.

Have you looked at this? Supposedly it greatly reduces gluten in beer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/salts-finings/beer-additives/clarity-ferm-5-mls.html

See the latest Zymurgy for Charlie Papazian's article on reduced-gluten recipes. One of those things where I'm tempted to do a small-batch and test it.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member