Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SAFALE-05 Opinions  (Read 12778 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
SAFALE-05 Opinions
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »
Anyone have any opinions on SAFALE-05?  I just used it in a red ale that tastes like @$$. - it tastes like a beer I recently tasted (Hen's Tooth, an English ale).  I used a lot of hop, but you'd never know it.  Some other people that tried my red ale said it tasted solvent-like.  Not a glowing recommendation, but the truth is what it is.  Perhaps it's not the yeast?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: SAFALE-05 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »
What temperature did you ferment it at?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:08 pm »
Anyone have any opinions on SAFALE-05?  I just used it in a red ale that tastes like @$$. - it tastes like a beer I recently tasted (Hen's Tooth, an English ale).  I used a lot of hop, but you'd never know it.  Some other people that tried my red ale said it tasted solvent-like.  Not a glowing recommendation, but the truth is what it is.  Perhaps it's not the yeast?

What was your ferm temp? Usually it's on the cleaner side. Nail-polish? Maybe it fermented too warm.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:43:35 pm »
I'm thinking between 68 - 70.  Is this too high?

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
I'm thinking between 68 - 70.  Is this too high?

If that was your fermentation temp then it's kinda on the borderline.  If that was the ambient room temp then your fermentation temp was several degrees higher and that's too high.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »
So if it were too high, then it would give the beer a solvent-like flavor?  I'm not familiar with this yeast strain.  I've got an IPA fermenting with this yeast currently at 66 degrees.  I hope this tastes better.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58:08 pm »
Is it already bottled or kegged?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »
Yeah, it could.  Higher fermentation temperatures tend to throw off more fusel alcohols which can lead to those solventy flavors. 

If you don't have one you should invest in a fermometer.  They're cheap and pretty accurate and give you a good idea what temperature your beer is actually fermenting at.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 08:43:19 pm »
euge... already kegged.  i was hoping it was going to be good, but it's awful.  no hop taste at all.  would not thoroughly rinsing iodophor out of the keg cause some off flavors?  I can't imagine that being the case, but who knows.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »
Draw off a few more glasses and/or wait a few days. See what happens. Sometimes the "sediment" can carry off flavors.

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
euge,

i've already done that... to me it tastes like (what i would consider) to be a standard english ale.  no hop... just watery malt.  i've already poured close to a gallon.  i'd think the bad taste would be gone by now if what you mention is the cause.

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
I've been using SAFALE-05 in most of the beers I make and haven't had any problems like that. A few of the batches I brewed in the summer fermented at 78F average and still turned out pretty good.
  I don't see how the yeast would kill the hop flavor in the beer. Sounds like something very different than the yeast is going on. Could sunlight cause that to happen? Maybe fermenting in a clear carboy and maybe just a few hours of sunlight hitting it might do something like that.
  My two sense,

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:20:08 pm »
giga... my beer fermented in a plastic bucket in my bedroom which is typically around 68 degrees.  There was no light other than from my bedroom light.  i must've done something to make it taste horrible. 

Offline gisbrewmaster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:31 pm »
SA-05 is pretty much the only yeast I use unless i am doing something non american like hef or Belgian.  I have never had an issues with it and I am guessing you issue is the fermentation temps like others have said.  You may want to try putting your fermentor into a bottle filled with water and a few frozen bottles of water.  Cover the fermenter with a wet t-shirt and it will work like a wick drawing up the cool water keeping your temps down a few degrees. Just rotate out the frozen water bottles and you should be good to go.

Matt

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:50 am »
According to John Palmer solvent-like flavors can be caused by high fermentation temps and oxidation. Or can be leached from cheap plastic.