Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: starter with / without stir plate  (Read 2543 times)

Offline javierdu

• 1st Kit
starter with / without stir plate
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
Hi
I read a lot about the improve of using magnetic plate.

Jamil said that he wins by 40% compared to inttermitent shaking. But as the impact on growth rate or decrease in comparison to other methods, example: simple starter or  aireation continuous.

I can not find that information on the web. I read Wyest page but only said about to use stir plate or not use in his calculator (I think the other posibility is to use air pump or shaking, but I donĀ“t know),

Javier

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
Re: starter with / without stir plate
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:06:04 am »
I haven't done yeast starter yet but plan to in the next week. I don't have a stir plate and can't imagine shaking the wort in the beaker will do any decent oxygenation. My plan is to put the cooled work into a sanitized 1 gallon plastic water bottle, cap it, then shake vigorously before pouring into the beaker. I hope this will give adequate aeration.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: starter with / without stir plate
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:30 am »
I haven't done yeast starter yet but plan to in the next week. I don't have a stir plate and can't imagine shaking the wort in the beaker will do any decent oxygenation. My plan is to put the cooled work into a sanitized 1 gallon plastic water bottle, cap it, then shake vigorously before pouring into the beaker. I hope this will give adequate aeration.

Yep, that should work fine.  A stir plate would be nice to have but don't let a lack of one stop you from making a starter.  The basics for a starter are a kitchen pot to boil in, a little bit of DME, some sanitizer, and a one gallon plastic jug.  Occasionally shaking or swirling the starter while it's going will help as well.
Clint
Wort Hogs