Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY2124 at ale temps  (Read 1938 times)

Offline jasoncap

• 1st Kit
WY2124 at ale temps
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:44 am »
Anyone ever try this?  According to Wyeast this strain works well at that range in addition to lager temps.  Just curious what results others have gotten before I ruin 5 gallons of beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: WY2124 at ale temps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:29 am »
Define "well".  It will ferment just fine, but it will be very fruity and not "lager-like".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jasoncap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:41 am »
I was thinking about brewing an ale with it so I wouldn't mind some ester character.  I have quite a bit on hand from my last lager brew and wasn't sure if it was worth trying.  I typically use US-05 which is a great clean yeast, but it would be nice to have another ale yeast that contributes more to the beer.  The fact that I can use it for lagers would be a bonus.

Assuming the yeast does make a decent ale, I wonder if the resulting yeast slurry would still perform well as a lager yeast or if there would be selective mutations, etc.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:34 am »
Sounds like for what you want it would probably do well.  I'd think that it would still ferment lagers fine afterwards.  Mutations don't happen that quickly, AFAIK.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »
Define "well".  It will ferment just fine, but it will be very fruity and not "lager-like".
This is interesting idea.
I should try it.
I am fermenting with 2124 now.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:28:40 pm »
I have used the 2124 a couple of times for ale.  The latest was a 1554 Clone.  It always seems to embark a slight Belgian, fruity flavor to the ale.  Not much and not objectionable, but I am not the biggest fan of a Belgian beers.  I will continue to use it though.  I just used the 1272 in the Fat Tire Clone in the latest Brew Mag.  It should be wonderful.  I recommend trying.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:32 pm »
I have used the 2124 a couple of times for ale.  The latest was a 1554 Clone.  It always seems to embark a slight Belgian, fruity flavor to the ale.  Not much and not objectionable, but I am not the biggest fan of a Belgian beers.
What temp did you ferment it at?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com