Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some basic knowledge help, please.  (Read 8464 times)

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
Re: Some basic knowledge help, please.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:18 am »
OK, reading all the above I am assuming that most of you add grain to water of the right temp and not the other way around?

water to grain here. grain in the tun with liquor of 165 to 170 flowing in.
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:26 am »
OK, reading all the above I am assuming that most of you add grain to water of the right temp and not the other way around?

That's the way I do it.  I've tried it both ways and it seems to have no effect on beer quality.  Adding grain to water just makes it easier for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 10:00:01 am »

That's the way I do it.  I've tried it both ways and it seems to have no effect on beer quality.  Adding grain to water just makes it easier for me.

Same here.  It's simplest to have the water in the cooler and then gradually add/stir in the grain.
Joe

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:18 am »
I add water to grain. It has never been a problem for me.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:09:48 am »

+1

I like to add about 1/3 of the grist at a time to the water and mix.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
I have tried it both ways, and at least for my setup, I have found that adding grain to water was significantly easier and ensures that the grain is uniformly wetted. I pour it in not-too-fast while stirring with a 22" whisk I bought at a local restaurant supply store. The whisk prevents dough balls.

Another advantage to adding grain to water is I can take a temp of the mash water before adding the grain, and adjust accordingly. Finally, if I'm going to be splashing myself anything, I'd rather it be milled grain than 168-degree water.

I do slightly preheat my 5-gallon MT with a gallon of hot tap water, just to take the chill off. I hit my temps, which is what matters!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:05 am »
I add my grain to water as well. The whisk is a great idea for busting up dough-balls. Next time I visit the restaurant supply store prices will be checked. Mixing in the grain effectively is a technique all on it's own.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 11:54:40 am »
I add my strike water around the edges of the the cooler, so it goes to the bottom and wets from the bottom up. Based on that, I'm kind of add grain on top of water.

I would never use a whisk in my mash. Too much aeration.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »
The Tubercle method:

Add ~175f water to tun, stir until it gets to strike temp which is usually about 15f above desired mash temp - YMMV. Usually about 5 minutes less.

Add grain slowly and stir making sure all grain is wetted thoroughly. No dough balls to date.

Check temp to make sure it is desired range. Stir some more to lower or add readily available boiling water to raise. This is very rare since experience has indicated proper strike temp for certain water/grain ratios.

Close and secure cooler lid and let nature take its course.

Open another beer.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »
I add my strike water around the edges of the the cooler, so it goes to the bottom and wets from the bottom up. Based on that, I'm kind of add grain on top of water.

That gives me the idea to run the water into the drain valve of the cooler.... It would fill from the bottom up.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
I did that a few times with my earlier mash tun and it worked very well. I haven't done it with this one simply because I haven't figured out an easy way to plumb it. That, and running down the sides works about as well.

FWIW, I use a pump and go around the sides in a circle, several times, until I've added enough water. Then I start stirring very slowly with my mash paddled until I don't see anymore dough balls.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 12:59:39 pm »

A good thing to consider, but I don't "whisk" per se (the traditional circular air-into-mass whisking action, like whisking egg whites); I simply stir gently. The tines of the whisk (are they called tines? whatever)  slice through the wetted grain better than a spoon.

I do use the whisk, cleaned and sanitized, to aerate my wort after brewing. I slosh the wort into a sanitized bucket and whisk (this time just like for egg whites) for 5 minutes solid, then funnel it into the carboy. Probably only effective because I brew small batches.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »
I mill my grains directly into the mash tun, so I add the water to the grains. Yes, I get some dough balls, but nothing that doesn't break up with a couple minutes of stirring.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »

Why is that a problem?  And if it is, couldn't you use the whisk to mix gently?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:12 pm »
I recently started adding grain to water and find that it's easier to dough in. YMMV
Ron Price