General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fining carbonated beer

(1/3) > >>

taeagan:
Curious what others are doing out there to fine beer that is already carbonated.  I'm not that keen on the idea of de-pressurizing the corny keg, opening it up, and dumping a fining agent in there.  I'd be worried about introduction of oxygen, loss of carbonation, and the possibility of some kind of crazy foaming accident once the fining is dumped in. 

theDarkSide:
I would think you could purge the headspace in the corny with CO2 before sealing back up.  Although I don't know because I don't keg...yet...KEGGING SYSTEM ARRIVES TOMORROW!!!!!  WOOHOO!!

Sorry...

tom:
All concerns. Purging the headspace with CO2 afterwards should prevent oxidation and carbonation loss. Foaming can definitely haappen, just be quick.

Or just use a stoneware mug!

redbeerman:
I fine carbonated beer often and have never had a problem with foaming, oxidation, or loss of carbonation.  I add the gelatin solution, give a it swirl with a sanitized spoon, seal it back up, and purge with CO2.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: redbeerman on December 02, 2009, 07:46:57 AM ---I fine carbonated beer often and have never had a problem with foaming, oxidation, or loss of carbonation.  I add the gelatin solution, give a it swirl with a sanitized spoon, seal it back up, and purge with CO2.

--- End quote ---

Same experience here. And yes, sometimes you have to be quick. Real quick ;). Most of the time it doesn't foam up that quickly, though. "Cap on foam" is a good practice for bottling beer. Why not "close corny lid on foam" ;)

Kai

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version