Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH check  (Read 3675 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
pH check
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:38:39 pm »
Am I correct in recalling that mash pH should be around 5.4 at room temp?  And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: pH check
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »
That's a good one. Between 68 and 80F.  ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »
Then I've been overcooling my wort when I check it!  And IIRC, pH decreases as temp increases?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:04 pm »
Am I correct in recalling that mash pH should be around 5.4 at room temp?  And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?

5.4 to 5.6 @ 25c/77f... [Braukaiser 2009]

:)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:30:52 pm by lonnie mac »

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:45 pm »
IIRC from recipe books, different (although not widely) for different styles... English more alkaline, German less so, etc etc.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »
IIRC from recipe books, different (although not widely) for different styles... English more alkaline, German less so, etc etc.

I think you're thinking of the water.  I was asking about mash pH, which should be pretty consistent from style to style.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 02:49:00 pm »
Am I correct in recalling that mash pH should be around 5.4 at room temp?  And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?

5.4 to 5.6 @ 25c/77f... [Braukaiser 2009]

:)

Thank ya, sir!  I looked there but missed that!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:52:50 pm »
The highest recommended room-temp mash temp is about 5.8 (from Malting and Brewing Science), so the true room-temp pH range for mashing is 5.4 to 5.8.  Lower mash pH improves the fermentability of the wort.  So if your goal is fermentability, then the low end of the range is desirable.  If you're not looking for fermentability, then the upper end is preferred.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »
Yea, I have always taken mine at mash temp which will read a tad lower using my ATC, but taking Kaiser's word that it would ruin my probe I stopped that practice and now also take mine at room temp, or what ever that may be! :)

I figure 5.5 or so is ok by me...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
I'm with ya, Lonnie...I got a meter not long ago and decided to do everything I could to prolong the life of the probe.

Martin, I appreciate the details.  pH is mainly an issue for me in very light beers, and now that it's pilsner season I'm more concerned about it.  Those same beers are ones where I want to maximize my fermentability, so it's good to know that I want to be at the low end of the range.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:37:04 pm »
I'm with ya, Lonnie...I got a meter not long ago and decided to do everything I could to prolong the life of the probe.

Martin, I appreciate the details.  pH is mainly an issue for me in very light beers, and now that it's pilsner season I'm more concerned about it.  Those same beers are ones where I want to maximize my fermentability, so it's good to know that I want to be at the low end of the range.

After about 4 years of use my probe finally died. I inadvertently lost my o-ring during a brew out and it sat dry for a month after all the storage solution dried out. This taught me a good lesson! I should have purchased a new electrode back when I got the meter because like everything else the dang dang thing is not made anymore now! Always some new model every month replacing the old... It was a ridiculous task finding a new electrode.

Like you, I really care about the ph on my light beers, on my big, not so much as I know how I brew, I know how I make my water, and it is always within a good range...

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »
Am I correct in recalling that mash pH should be around 5.4 at room temp?  And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?

I don't think there is enogh difference in the measured pH at these temps for it to matter much for practical brewing. I cool the samples to a temp between 23 and 27 C.

Lonnie,

when you buy a new pH meter, buy one with a BNC connector for the probe. This seems to be the most universal connector. I'm really pleased with the Milwaukee SM 101.

Kai

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »

I don't think there is enogh difference in the measured pH at these temps for it to matter much for practical brewing. I cool the samples to a temp between 23 and 27 C.

Lonnie,

when you buy a new pH meter, buy one with a BNC connector for the probe. This seems to be the most universal connector. I'm really pleased with the Milwaukee SM 101.

Kai

Indeed! I always told myself if I have to actually replace it, it will be the Milwaukee. I came very close this time!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »
And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?
That would be 65F here in Wisconsin  :D

I apologise in advance.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:53 am »
And what's considered room temp?  65?  70?  75?
That would be 65F here in Wisconsin  :D

I apologise in advance.

:) ...same here in OR!

www.dennybrew.com