Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Would you dump a grain bill if... water chemistry was off...WAY off  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Would you dump a grain bill if... water chemistry was off...WAY off
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »
Tubercle, if the time to brew that experimental batch was there, sure brewing it would have been interesting.

But as far as I recall the salts were off by 10x and not just 2x.

I checked and there isn't too much hops in this recipe which limits that addidional expense. The yeast could have been reused. It does leave mostly the brewing time as the added cost. 

Kai
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:42:56 pm by Kaiser »

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:10 am »
I'm in the camp of those who think you did the right thing.  To me the chloride and chalk would make it taste like alka seltzer.  You'd probably also need to adjust the pH drastically with acid to even get a decent mash.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:57 am »
If not for anything else you probably won't do that again. It's difficult to throw away money but it could've been even worse if the beer turned out bad. I think you made the right choice. My time is worth alot and wasted time is something you can never get back. Good Luck on the next batch.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 10:49:57 am »
My guess is no matter what it tasted like you'd be so critical in your judgement that you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway.  Just knowing it wasn't what you wanted probably would have impacted your perception of the beer. 

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 09:31:05 am »
I did something similar to this once, forgot to bypass the H2O softener prior to brewing an American Brown ale. I didn't realize it until the end of the brewing session. My efficiency was much lower than expected which puzzled me at the time. Went ahead and pitched the yeast, fermented and kegged. While the beer was obviously different than prior batches of the same recipe, thinner and interestingly enough not as roasty as expected, it was still drinkable and did not have any undesireable attributes. One would assume that for an ABA extremely soft water would be a bad thing. Go figure.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline mattc

• 1st Kit
  • Cold filtered,frost brewed,triple hopped...blah,bl
    • Beaconhills Brewhouse Weblog
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:27 pm »
I think I made the correct decision as well. I not even sure if the mash would have converted or not. I tend to think not as well as it could have with out all of the chalk. I think the toll of the yeast would have left it cloying also....
Read a good beer blog: www.beaconhillsbrewhouse.org
Traditional Brewing: Reinvented