Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kronenbourg 1664  (Read 4915 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Kronenbourg 1664
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:34 am »
Finally bought some at the local. There's a surprising selection of beer there and put it down to a large population of retired and active military. I'm going to make some suggestions on getting a few more European beers in. Anyway, back to 1664. It's a prominent premium lager in France.

Crisp pale lager with the characteristic malt flavor I expect to see in European lagers. Hops are subdued. A honey sweetness lingers on the palate and mild bitterness. I was hoping for something a bit more complex.

I see having it with lots of seafood like shellfish or even sushi.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Kronenbourg 1664
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:26:35 am »
It's a prominent premium lager in France.

Eh... Dunno about premium. 1664, Leffe, and Grimbergen are the French equivalent of BMC. You find them in every bar. Of course, I guess that's better than finding BMC in every bar, but I would shy from calling it premium.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:36 am »
Had this in France when I was there skiing.  Also on the plane.

I recall fondly buying tall boys and chilling them in the snow outside my hotel window.

Not fondly enough that I would go out of my way to buy it in the states, though.

My recollection was it was simply OK.  I'd drink it in France or elsewhere in Europe.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:44 am »
I believe Budweiser is considered a premium lager. I see 1664 right there along with it LOL.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:35:34 am »
I believe Budweiser is considered a premium lager. I see 1664 right there along with it LOL.

Given the price you have to pay per bottle (3 euros!) I'd say Bud is pretty damn premium over here.
----

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:14 am »
That's just funny. Here you could almost get a six pack of bud for 3 euro.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »
I lived in France for a while and although I'd probably choose a 1664 over a BUD, it is the French equivilent of BUD. Then again, there are far WORSE beers in France! Kronenburg has several 'brands'. Kronenpils, Kronenberg, Kronenberg 1664, etc. From what I could tell, they are all pretty much the same! This is coming from a guy who really loves pale lagers! The Kronenberg and Heiniken breweries are right down the road from each other in Strasbourg if that tells you anything!

That being said, there are some really GREAT beers in France as well. Most of which I've never seen in the states. If you're looking for a good French pale lager, I always liked Meteor Pils or Fischer Blonde. However, as you probably already know, most of the really good French beers are ales.

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
Ya know, after reading the posts again, it makes me wonder: What constitutes a 'premium' beer? I mean, just because a brewery is big, does that mean they can't produce a quality beer? I think not. Some of my favorite beers (Augustiner Helles, Franziskaner, Guinness, etc) are produced by very large brewerys. So, I don't think the size of a brewery necessarily means that it can't produce a good beer. Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! If you like BUD, drink it. If you like 1664, drink it! I personally started homebrewing in order to try to replicate German lagers made by quite large brewerys that I can't buy here in the states, at least not fresh or at a reasonable price. The day I can replicate Augustiner Helles is the day that I will feel accomplished as a homebrewer, and Augustiner, as I said, is one of the Munich 'big six'. Still, it's what I strive to achieve!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:59:42 pm »
Well, I was just making fun a bit, because 1664 is definitely the Budweiser analog here.

Also, while Fischer is a good beer for sure, at the most recent Soiree Choucroute I had about 8 of those things. I dunno what they put in them, but JIMINY CRICKETS I had the worst, worst worst worst hangover in my entire life the morning after. Like 2x a bad champagne hangover.
----

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »
Ya know, after reading the posts again, it makes me wonder: What constitutes a 'premium' beer? ...

These days, the term doesn't mean very much. 
If anything, most of the "craft" product out there today can be considered "premium", hopefully as an indication of quality (but certainly as a reflection of the price).
But if any brews brew still use the term "premium", it  has become a marketing term and not much more (kind of like where the term "craft beer" seems to be headed).

In years past, Michelob was a premium beer compared, for example, to Budweiser, with  Michelob being an all malt brew and (at least before 1959), a draft-only product that cost a few cents more per glass than other beers.   
There were also some other really great beers back then that would certainly be classed as "premium"... Prior Double Dark, Schmidt's Tiger Ale, Ballantine IPA,  Horlacher Perfection,  Trommer's White Label, and others.  Actually, any of these old brews--every one of them being better than the norm-- would probably fit very nicely alongside some of the craft beers on the shelves today. 

Of the ones I names, Michelob is the only one still around (and I still think that it's an excellent American Lager...at a great price... that unfortunately doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves).
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:51:26 pm »

Of the ones I names, Michelob is the only one still around (and I still think that it's an excellent American Lager...at a great price... that unfortunately doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves).

Kronenbourg 1664 IS A FRENCH BEER, AND MICHELOBE Lager uses French Strisselspalt ... in the same thread! Coincidence?  ;) I do also like the Michelobe Original Lager as well and it is a great price for a fairly decent lager. But it's a better beer now than it was 20 years ago. They've changed it for the better. Not the same recipe.

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
Well, I was just making fun a bit, because 1664 is definitely the Budweiser analog here.

Also, while Fischer is a good beer for sure, at the most recent Soiree Choucroute I had about 8 of those things. I dunno what they put in them, but JIMINY CRICKETS I had the worst, worst worst worst hangover in my entire life the morning after. Like 2x a bad champagne hangover.

Yes! I had many a hangover from Kronenbourg when I lived in France. The town I lived in was the Absinthe capital of the world (so they claimed) and had 6 functioning distillieries for a town of 15,000! You could buy a glass for 50 cents. I guess that might have had something to do with the hangovers as well. :)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:22 am »
I've been to the brewery, which was pretty cool. Didn't make the beer taste any better.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 12:51:59 pm »
I've been to the brewery, which was pretty cool. Didn't make the beer taste any better.

:D :D

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »

Yes! I had many a hangover from Kronenbourg when I lived in France. The town I lived in was the Absinthe capital of the world (so they claimed) and had 6 functioning distillieries for a town of 15,000! You could buy a glass for 50 cents. I guess that might have had something to do with the hangovers as well. :)
What town is that?  My in-laws in France always have 1664, Kanterbrau and grimbergen in the beer fridge on the front porch.  But there is some really good French beer if you're willing to look for it,
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico