Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Chair NWPA  (Read 1370 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Red Chair NWPA
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:41:29 pm »
Saw this at the store by my house when I stopped in for chili fixins. Everything I've had from Deschutes brewery has been excellent.

Long long hop flavor and finish following a distinct bitterness. Half a glass and it is bone dry. At first there was a malty sweetness but thats gone now. Taste-buds wiped out by a citrus explosion spiraling out of control. They mention something about getting a smoother ride. Maybe not full on but this beer is a hop assault.  ;D

I think some sweet sticky smoky ribs would pair up with this nicely.

The neck label says: Another slap at brewing convention. Another kick in the pants. Enjoy.

Can anyone explain this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Re: Red Chair NWPA
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:27:25 pm »
Saw this at the store by my house when I stopped in for chili fixins. Everything I've had from Deschutes brewery has been excellent.

Long long hop flavor and finish following a distinct bitterness. Half a glass and it is bone dry. At first there was a malty sweetness but thats gone now. Taste-buds wiped out by a citrus explosion spiraling out of control. They mention something about getting a smoother ride. Maybe not full on but this beer is a hop assault.  ;D

I think some sweet sticky smoky ribs would pair up with this nicely.

The neck label says: Another slap at brewing convention. Another kick in the pants. Enjoy.

Can anyone explain this?

Funny you detected bitterness.  I didn't detect much, which makes this brew a bit schizo.  Deschutes used to refer to it as an IPA, but now has renamed it to be a PNW APA.  To me, it's simply a "BIG" APA, which could be an IPA except for a decided lack of bitterness, which seems to be Deschute's opinion below.  They are referring to the older packaging when it was an IPA, to its current APA designation.

# Deschutes Says:
April 26th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

They are the same beer, just different packaging. We felt that Red Chair was not quite bitter enough for an IPA but more interesting than a traditional pale so we renamed the style to NW Pale Ale.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:37:57 pm by roguejim »

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
I  had one earlier today and found it too sweet. I'm having an Inversion now I like it more but it's too bitter. A blend might be to my taste.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:28:33 am by Malticulous »

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:07:42 am »
I like Deschute's  limited offerings and seasonals better than their yearly round up. I've enjoyed the red chair over the last few years. Its not as hoppy as I'd like it to be but I think it strikes that "balance" we talk about so much. Good beer. I'll keep buying it.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett