Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye APA Recipe Help.  (Read 7056 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Rye APA Recipe Help.
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:20:08 am »
All the talk about Denny's Rye IPA and Rye APA flung a craving on to try to brew one.
Here is what I have so far. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Rye Pale Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 12/31/2010
Style: American Pale Ale Brewer: Dano
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer: 
Boil Volume: 6.20 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: My All Grain Equipment

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 54.17 %
4 lbs 12.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 39.58 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop, add to keg)
1.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (20 min) Hops 34.5 IBU
1.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (5 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc 
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1 L] Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.060 SG (1.045-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM (5.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 45.8 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 16.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.95 % (4.50-6.00 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.00 %
Actual Calories: 269 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 5.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 12.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 65.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 3.14 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 18.00 qt of water at 164.8 F 154.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

I keep hearing about JZ talk about doing all of the hop additions late so I wanted to give it a try.

Thanks in advance!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rye APA Recipe Help.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
Without knowing anything about your water it's hard to say for certain, but in general you might want to make sure you have enough sulfates for the hops to really shine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:25:41 am »
I use distilled water. The tap water here has loads of chlorine in it, and they have/are going to chloriamine (sp?).
Tulsa, OK

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:59 am »
I use distilled water. The tap water here has loads of chlorine in it, and they have/are going to chloriamine (sp?).

Since distilled water is just water, you should probably be adding back more minerals than just your Calcium Chloride.  The brewing process wants more minerals.

If the only real problem with your tap water is chlorine/chloramines, I'd go ahead and use it to brew with.  Just add 1/4 of a Campden tablet to 5 gallons and all the chlorine/chloramines go poof - gone.
Joe

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:45:25 am »
I could be wrong, but I think almost 40% Rye might be too much.  I made a Rye PA with around 20% Rye and I could taste the rye just fine.  I do think the Citra hops will go good with the Rye.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 11:48:01 am »
I could be wrong, but I think almost 40% Rye might be too much.  I made a Rye PA with around 20% Rye and I could taste the rye just fine.  I do think the Citra hops will go good with the Rye.

I recently made an APA with 40% rye and wondered if I should have gone higher...tastes vary.

Since the OP is using distilled water, some CaSO4 would certainly be in order.  Not only will it bring out the hops, it will add some needed Ca.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:23 am »
Denny is definitely the expert on Rye, I have used it only 4 times.  Next time I will try to bump it up to 30%-40% and see if I like the difference.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:08:58 pm »
I got the 40% rye from one of Denny's post.  ;D

So would 1 tsp Calcium Chloride and 1 tsp CaSO4 per 5 gallons water be enough? Water chemistry is still a mystery to me.

Thanks!
Dano

Tulsa, OK

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:00 pm »
Denny is definitely the expert on Rye, I have used it only 4 times.  Next time I will try to bump it up to 30%-40% and see if I like the difference.

40% was the highest I've gone, and I did it just to see what I thought.  I liked it and will try at least 50% next time.  Probably I'll keep upping it til I hit a level that I don't care for.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:58:57 pm »

40% was the highest I've gone, and I did it just to see what I thought.  I liked it and will try at least 50% next time.  Probably I'll keep upping it til I hit a level that I don't care for.

My rye IPA uses about 20% and I find it more rye flavorful than most of the commercial examples.  I guess it also depends on the type of hops you use, because some varieties seem to accentuate the rye flavor.  Do you agree with that, Denny?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »
My rye IPA uses about 20% and I find it more rye flavorful than most of the commercial examples.  I guess it also depends on the type of hops you use, because some varieties seem to accentuate the rye flavor.  Do you agree with that, Denny?

I'd never thought about that before, but it makes sense.  Guess I'll have to start experimenting to see which ones do what.  What do you think, Jeff?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:33 pm »
I talked to my LHBS about the water chemistry here. I was informed that the local water minus the chlorine was really good for pale ales and IPA's. So I went to HD and bought a carbon filter. Hopefully this will help me.

Thanks for all the replies!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 07:45:44 pm »
I have a American rye I'm working on. Drinking it I thought it could use a slice of orange like many might put in a wheat beer. I don't like fruit in beer. I think a hop like Summit will go well. It's like sweet tangerine to me. I'll drop the Sterling in that recipe for Summit net time.

I like to keep 15 gallons in water bottles. My water is good for most beers but has chlorine. The chlorine will dissipate in time. If I fill them after every brew it's usually ready for the next brew. Campden tablets would be nice sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:59:44 pm by Malticulous »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »
I talked to my LHBS about the water chemistry here. I was informed that the local water minus the chlorine was really good for pale ales and IPA's. So I went to HD and bought a carbon filter.

Didn't you say earlier that they "have/are going chloramines"?  Be aware that your HD carbon filter will take care of chlorine but not chloramines.  Chloramines require something like five minutes of contact time with a carbon block (not your regular activated charcoal) filter. 

Much simpler to just go with the Campden tablets.  And your purchase isn't wasted since filtering first is never a bad idea.
Joe

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:29:59 pm »
Had to look it up, but they are not switching to chloramine until fall of 2011, so I have a few months.
Tulsa, OK