Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Short's Autumn Ale  (Read 2008 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
Short's Autumn Ale
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:44 pm »
This ESB is my new favorite offering from Short's (taking the place of their Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA).  Crisp, clean, and hoppy.  It's good to see that these folks are doing a major expansion: http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2010/11/shorts_brewing_co_update_14_mi.html
Should be a significant boost to the economy in this part of the country.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Short's Autumn Ale
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »
I'm just getting to try my first brew made by Short's tonight... and its the Humalupalicious.   I'll post what I think about it... I hope its killer... the labels don't say much about it, IBU's, abv... nothing except its supposed to taste like a hop theme park in your mouth.  LOL!

I'll have to search for the Autumn Ale.   ;)

Edit:  I'm sipping the Humalupalicious now... I just deleted everything I was going to say... if you're into Dry and Extreme Bitterness... this might be a beer You would like.  Its not for me, thats all I'm gonna say about it.   :-X
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:06:23 pm by dean »

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »
Bad news.  I bought another six-pack of the Autumn Ale, and it was nothing like the one I had previously bought.  The latest had different label art, so I assume it was from a later batch.  This latest has an unpleasant sour taste.  I'd say that Shorts need to do some work on their quality control.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
That's interesting that you refer to it as an ESB. Most bars around here (West Michigan) were classifying it as Short's version of a Marzen/Oktoberfest! I guess I can taste a bit of both, although technically it IS an ale. Not sure why your six was sour, I've had a few of the Autumn and they've been quite consistant. The Huma on the other hand has been great in a bottle, but tastes like soap whenever I get it on tap!

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:32:57 am »
That's interesting that you refer to it as an ESB. Most bars around here (West Michigan) were classifying it as Short's version of a Marzen/Oktoberfest! I guess I can taste a bit of both, although technically it IS an ale. Not sure why your six was sour, I've had a few of the Autumn and they've been quite consistant. The Huma on the other hand has been great in a bottle, but tastes like soap whenever I get it on tap!

It's not me calling it an ESB.  That's what they put on the label.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:58:06 pm »

Shows you how much bars pay attention!!! They probably figured since it was a 'fall' beer, well then it must be an Oktoberfest!

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

Shows you how much bars pay attention!!! They probably figured since it was a 'fall' beer, well then it must be an Oktoberfest!

Here's the proof (re. ESB)!  http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/our-portfolio/annual-beers/autumn-ale/
The 6-pack that was sour was sitting on a grocery store shelf at room temp for God-knows how long, but still....  Picked up a couple more seasonals @ the pub and they're quite good.  Reviews to follow.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch