Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition Ethics  (Read 10009 times)

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: Competition Ethics
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »
Did not intend for this to be a debate on competitions, value of medals, etc. Just wanted the advice of some of the highest ranked judges on interpretting the rules.

Nice stringer of bass in your avatar there stlaleman!
That was my best day ever fishing, two bass over 6 pounds and one catfish around 10 pounds.

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 05:52:43 pm »
I find that when entering competitions, it is a better use of my money to enter anything that isn't a "normal style" only where there are people who are likely to judge it who have experience with the style from both a scoring perspective and for feedback.  Smaller competitions probably won't have a wide enough range of judges to be able to judge Melomel well.  If the judges are unfamiliar with the product (commercial examples, making it themselves, etc) prizes will be a crap shoot and feedback isn't likely to be helpful.  But if you know a competition has an experienced judge pool or draws from a deeper pool of judges or even if the area specializes in something, I think you'll find the quality of off-centered beverage judging to be more satisfying.  Part of that is that the competition organizers will know what the judges will want to know and how they might handle too much information on first taste.

Summarized, I would email the organizer of a competition with a question like this.  If they don't have a satisfying answer, I'd skip it.  It's more about getting a specialty product to the right judging panel.  You wouldn't send a Big Rig to Car and Driver for a test drive... or maybe you would...

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:15 am »
Just drink it and enjoy it. Why do you need someone else telling you it's good or bad?

Because maybe you have another reason for brewing than simply "I like it and my drunken friends like it, so it must be good".  If that's your motivation, no problem, but not everyone has the same reasons.

Really Denny? thats rather rude to say something like that, do you know him or his friends before calling them drunks?

I don't brew to impress anybody but my wife & me, anybody else likes the beer all the better, guess I'm just another drunk.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 08:48:37 am »
Just drink it and enjoy it. Why do you need someone else telling you it's good or bad?

Because maybe you have another reason for brewing than simply "I like it and my drunken friends like it, so it must be good".  If that's your motivation, no problem, but not everyone has the same reasons.

Really Denny? thats rather rude to say something like that, do you know him or his friends before calling them drunks?

I don't brew to impress anybody but my wife & me, anybody else likes the beer all the better, guess I'm just another drunk.

I felt the same way, but I see those types of answers directed at others, so I didn't get offended. It's all cool.

While my friends have gotten a little tipsy before, (myself included)  I don't consider them, or myself, drunks and I still respect their opinions.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 09:07:06 am »
You don't think answering a question about how to fill out a competition entry with a judgmental comment about entering competitions created the negative environment in the first place?

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 09:19:41 am »
You don't think answering a question about how to fill out a competition entry with a judgmental comment about entering competitions created the negative environment in the first place?

Giving your opinion is one thing. Insulting someone or someone's friends is another. Enough said.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:07 am »

Yes, it is, and I apologize for it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:59 am »

And I accept it and thanks.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:58 am »

Cool ;)

Offline christo

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:34 am »
Wow, talk about a roaming thread. . . insults, apologies, fishing!

Back to the topic.  It has been summed up fairly well, but thought I would give my take.

As discussed earlier, if you want feedback on why some of your fruits don't shine in your mead, then noting all fruits may be appropriate.  (I do like the concept of stating all of the fruits but then also adding that the primary fruits are x and y).  If you are wanting to do well in the competition, mention only the ones that are detectable.

A correlation can be made to deciding what style to enter in beer brewing.  You may brew what you were planning to be a Robust Porter, but for whatever reason (lower mash efficiency, old ingredients, attenuates too much, etc.) it just doesn't have the proper malt and hop kick and ends up more of a Brown Porter.  Tastes like a Brown Porter, looks like a Brown Porter, smells like a Brown Porter, feels like a Brown Porter.  I say enter as a Brown Porter.  You can enter as a Robust and you will likely get comments back that the alcohol, hops, body, etc. are too low for the style and to enter as a Brown Porter next time.

In any event, it's not an ethics thing for any of these cases.  Just because you add it to the grist (or must) doesn't mean it's going to shine in the final product.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »
can we get a group hug too? why don't we get drunk and ....
Phoenix, AZ

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »

I  don't swing that way, not that theres anything wrong with it,but no thanks

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
...pass out?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »
don't swing that way?! where's your mind at?! I was thinking ... get drunk and brew.  :-*
Phoenix, AZ